Monday, November 1, 1999

1 November 1999

Yes, I had a good Hallowe'en, thanks for asking. Yes, there are pictures. Saturday we threw our party, which was, if not the smashing energetic success of the moving party, at least enjoyable and fun. There were a lot of fun costumes, and good conversations, and most of us drank enough to feel really good.

K.T. and Kevin had come over early and carved their pumpkin while sitting in our driveway. Kevin chose a really nice-looking wolf's-head design, and K.T. hemmed and hawed for a while over cutting up her adorably tiny pumpkin. She finally decided to leave it alone, and spent some time picking pumpkin seeds out of Kevin's goop. Then they switched places and she carved bats into the back of Kevin's pumpkin - the idea being that the light inside would cast bat-shaped lights on the wall behind. It didn't work so well against our aluminum siding, though.

Greg showed up slightly early, and Jeremy right on time, and everyone else arrived in dribs and drabs after that. We'd specified that the party was BYOB, and most everyone B their own B to share, which was good. We'd also asked people to bring snacks and drinks if they could, and the only people to actually do this were K.T. and Kevin, who brought bat cookies (sugar cookies with a bat design in the middle) and Milky Way bars. It's just as well, though, because we had tons of leftovers. Matt and I decided that for the next party, we'd make sure to put some food in the living room, which is where most everyone stayed.

The party wound down around 12:30, and I was in bed by about 1:15. I should've had some water before I went to bed, because a headache developed shortly before noon on Sunday, and didn't go away until I'd taken a nap.


Only T, Sara, and Greg had stayed overnight, and they were all up by the time I woke up Sunday morning. We ate party leftovers for breakfast (and you haven't lived until you've tried cheesecake brownies for breakfast!) and cleaned up most of the mess and changed clocks. (I collect clocks, sortof, so Daylight Savings switchovers aren't exactly trivial.) The last of our guests had left by about eleven or so, and Matt and I did the laundry and ate leftovers. I took a nap after the laundry was done to soothe my pounding head, and then got up around 4:30 or so to anticipate trick-or-treaters.

I'd thought they would begin to show up around 5 - in my parents' neighborhood, they like the younger ones to come out while it's still fairly light. But Matt checked the county's website and learned that trick-or-treating didn't officially start until 6. Our first trick-or-treaters came around 5:30 - a pair of tiny fairy princesses from down the street a bit, who smiled shyly and could barely pronounce the traditional phrase.

We saw a bunch of older kids who barely bothered to dress up - one kid who hadn't even bothered to try - and some cute costumes from the younger set. Since we had a lot of candy, we let them reach in and pick their own. One kid was particularly greedy: "I'll take this, and this, and two of these... and this, and... this for my dad!" I rationed the kids who hadn't bothered to dress up to one of two, and we let the rest of them reach in and take what they would.

They still barely made a dent. We have a lot of leftover candy.

The last visitor of the night I thought was another older kid with no costume. In fact, she looked way too old to be trick-or-treating, and I was about to raise my eyebrow at her when she gestured behind her. Behind the streamers on our pouch, at the bottom of the stairs, lurked her husband with a stroller in which was an absolutely adorable toddler in a bear costume... Fast asleep. I laughed, called Matt to the door to see the kid, and let the woman pick out a few pieces of candy.
 

Okay, that's enough chat. Go look at the pictures!

No comments: