Wednesday, June 16, 1999

Had a nice evening last night - I met my friend Richard at the Barnes and Noble, bought a few books, went to IHOP for dinner, then went to the mall for a while. We talked about books and gaming and stupid people and all kinds of things. It was great. Infinitely better than sitting at home getting maudlin about being alone. I even got to bed before 10:30!

While we were at the mall, we stopped at a kiosk selling... How do I describe it? I think it was called "Mighty Thumbs" or something like that. It's essentially a massage tool, only instead of vibrating (get your mind out of the gutter) it's got two knobs that move in small circles - the motion that makes a backrub really good. There were about a dozen or so chairs set up at the kiosk, and each one had one of these things in it for people to try. I must admit, they look a little spooky - but we sat down and didn't move for almost half an hour except to reposition the doohickey. Oh. My. God. It was fantastic. The guy running the kiosk showed us how you can position them to work on any part of your back, legs, arms, or neck. I tried it out on my calves, because they are always tense. It wasn't as good as the calf massage Matt gives me, but this is a machine - it could go for much longer than Matt. I took a flier with me when I left. The Thumbs is about $200, and I'm seriously thinking about it.

It turns out my supervisor was in the building yesterday, but he was stuck in a meeting all day, which amounts to pretty much the same thing as being out of the office. I'll try to catch him again today. I'm not like Jeremy, who works because he loves it. I don't hate programming, but I probably wouldn't do it if I wasn't being paid. (I certainly wouldn't do as much of it.) But as long as they're paying me, I'd rather be working!

No comments: