Wednesday, July 26, 2000

26 July 2000

We had dinner last night with K.T. and Kevin - we wanted to thank K.T. for feeding the cat while we were gone (and Kevin for scrounging for rides so K.T. could feed the cat) so we had dinner at Second Street. K.T. had suggested trying a new place they'd heard of, called Quizno's, but it took so long for us to find it on the map and figure out how to get to it that Kevin suggested we go someplace we could actually find and save the experiments for some time when he wasn't starving.

Dinner was interesting. Our waitress was so perky and bouncy we were debating at one point just what drugs she was probably on. And sitting not far from us was a woman wearing a tube-top, her arms angled to hide it, so that at first glance it looked like she was sitting there naked. As Matt put it, "I know I didn't see what I think I just saw. I just need to confirm that I didn't see what I think I just saw."


Argh. My new glasses won't be ready until tomorrow. I was hoping they'd be ready today. Having ordered them, I'm sortof eager to get them - they'll be much lighter than the current ones, less scratched, and more stylish.


Oh, I finally got the pictures from our trip up! The pictures from Chicago are in with the rest of the July pictures, while the wedding pictures are in their own section.

I've been making minor changes all over the website in the last day or so, or at least coming up with ideas for changes. For example, on my page of other journals, I'm adding excerpts from each of the other journals, so you can get a feel for them before reading. On the people page, I'll be adding links not only to their web pages where possible, but to pictures of them in the photo album and/or journal entries where they're mentioned. If you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!


Okay, there was some discussion about this at dinner last night. Apparently, a few of the "big" journalists have added a link to their pages to allow interested readers to make a donation to them, and this has caused a big stink in the journalling community.

Well, that's hardly surprising. The question of whether or not the sun rises in the east has been known to raise a big stink in the journalling community. Journalists are highly excitable, opinionated people.

I had noticed the button just yesterday on one of the journals I read, shook my head, shrugged, and ignored it. I have no intention of paying to read a journal or of giving gifts to someone I'm not personally friends with, but if other readers want to do so, that's fine with me.

I do find it sortof funny that it's causing such a ruckus. One of the few things most online journalists agree on is freedom of speech, and if you complained about an offensive song or TV show, they'd probably be among the first to tell you that you don't have to listen or watch. But these small, inoffensive, and easily ignorable links are apparently driving people mad.

(I say apparently because I unsubscribed from all the journal and diary mailing lists a while back when I couldn't take the childishness any longer, so I'm getting this all secondhand.) Oh, well. Not being one of the "big" journals, I certainly don't expect gifts from my readers. (Heck, I don't even get e-mail most months!) But just in case you were wondering, I do have a wishlist. ;-)


Word of the Day: Kafkaesque - suggestive of Franz Kafka or his writings; esp. having a nightmarishly complex, bizarre, or illogical quality

I was grateful when the cat woke me up this morning at 3 am. It doesn't happen often, but last night my dreams were filled with strange, Kafkaesque scenes of me wandering endlessly through the sterile hallways of an office building, looking for Quizno's. When I finally found it, it was crammed behind a photocopy machine in a room hardly big enough for three people, and the subs were all pre-built and stuffed in a cooler with no bottom, and I was just about to climb into the cooler in search of cheddar cheese to replace the swiss when the cat woke me up.

No, I don't get it, either.

No comments: