Monday, July 26, 1999

We're getting ready, in my office, to begin using a product that we make. That's all well and good, and a company ought to be willing to use its own products. Mind you, this product isn't really useful to me personally, but in theory, it doesn't bother me for it to be installed on my work computer. The problem is that because of a peculiarity of the system (or maybe just because someone is being a pain in the ass) I had to change the way I log in to the computer. This shouldn't have been a big deal, but instead, it changed all of my settings (desktop arrangement, menus, sounds, etc.) and I've had to re-install so far about four programs so far. To make matters even more irritating, for some reason I can't eject my Zip disk unless I log out and then log back in the old way. I tried re-installing the drivers, and that didn't work. How annoying. Hardware should be hardware, for petesake! (At least I can access the Zip drive; that's where I keep my web pages!)


Saturday was a bright, sunny, beautiful (if hot) day. The game was scheduled to start at 7:15, and we planned to get to the park when the gates opened at 6. To do that, we were going to leave the apartment at 4:45. (It's about an hour drive, plus some extra time in case we got lost - we'd never been there before.)

At 3:45, K.T. called to tell us that it was raining cats and dogs in Hampton, and that the game would probably be called. (She was hoping we'd ditch the game and go over to her place for the Werewolf game.) The sun was still shining brightly in Williamsburg, so I figured that this was one of those summer storms we often get where the rain lasts half an hour or so, and then everything is bright and sunny again. I told her as much, but promised to call the ball park before we left the apartment.

At 4:15, the Williamsburg sky went dark.

At 4:40 I called Harbor Park and got a recorded message: "The game is still scheduled to be on time at 7:15 tonight." Well, I'd heard that unless the field is flooded, baseball games aren't cancelled until the very last possible second. And it might still be the summer storm I'd thought of when I talked to K.T., if it was travelling north (which is unusual, but not unheard-of.) So we piled into the car and headed for Norfolk.

Traffic was intermittent hell. It took us over an hour and a half to get to Norfolk, and the directions were pretty good, so we found the stadium without much trouble. The parking lot was strangely empty, though... As we drove around the circle, a family emerged from the gates and the man in the lead shook his head sadly at me. We rolled down our window for him and were told that the game had, in fact, been cancelled.

So we turned around and headed back across the river. As we were zipping along toward the bridge-tunnel, I looked down at my clock and realized that we'd been driving steadily for two hours. So we stopped in Hampton for dinner at Darryl's, which was very nice, and then went to K.T.'s to game. Of course, we had completely forgotten our gaming stuff, but K.T. keeps copies of our character sheets, so we could fake it.







Nifty. One of the office techs just came in to see about the problems I'm having with my computer, and he can't log in as an administrator - he's getting Blue Screens of Death. So he's going to...


10:45 am: Sorry about that. I'm finally back on the computer after having my OS partition completely reformatted, and Windows NT re-installed. It didn't fix the problem I originally complained about, though, so we'll see what happens. It may be a while before I can get this journal entry up. I hate Windows.


1:04 pm: And again. I think I'm finally back in business, though I need to re-install a lot of stuff on my computer. I have, at this point, completely forgotten whatever else it was that I was going to talk about today, so you'll just have to wait until tomorrow.

Now, to go locate and download some decent sounds...

No comments: