Friday, February 4, 2000

4 February 2000

About mid-morning yesterday, I decided I wanted a mocha coffee. The coffee service provides not only coffee, but also hot chocolate packets, so I emptied a packet of chocolate into my mug and started pouring coffee over it.

I looked up to see Mike Behind the File Cabinet standing in the door, staring at me. "What are you doing?"

"Mocha coffee," I answered.

"What's that?" he asked.

Since Mike drinks his coffee black, he'd never looked in the cabinet over the coffee machine where the creamer, sugar, and hot chocolate mix are stored. I showed him the stash. He looked dubious, but thought he'd give it a try. Two minutes later we were both back at our desks.

"Hey!" he exclaimed. "This is really good!"

I laughed. "No day in which you learn something new is wasted," I said, and went back to work.

I was hip-deep in my current problem, so I wasn't paying much attention to my office-mates' comings and goings. A little while later, Mike Behind the File Cabinet came in and told me, "This is fantastic! I'm on my third cup!"

I looked at the clock. It had only been half an hour. In half an hour, he'd drunk three cups of coffee and three packets of chocolate powder.

You know how I said I can tell whether he's at his desk by whether his monitor is shaking from his leg bouncing?

Yesterday Random (Mike I Can See) and I were placing bets on how long it would take for him to shake the monitor right off the desk.


Well, this is it. I'm working a half-day today. At noon, I'll go home and pack for SheVaCon, and hopefully Matt and I will be on the road by 2 or 3. This will be the first con I've gone to since I got my digital camera that will be featuring any big names. (SciCon, which I usually go to, was cancelled this year, and MarsCon doesn't have much of a budget for guests.) So hopefully I'll have some pictures when I get back!

I'm trying not to get too excited about this con. When I get excited about cons, I always wind up disappointed. It's hard to remember later how much down-time there is. And I don't think I know many people coming to this con, so I won't be able to socialize quite as much.

Well, if the con turns out to be really lame, Roanoke is less than an hour from both Christiansburg and Lynchburg, where we have friends. (Of course, Christiansburg and Lynchburg are in opposite directions, but that's life for you.) But I hope it'll turn out to be fun. I'm looking forward to meeting Steve Miller and Sharon Lee, the authors of the Liaden universe books. I've been on their mailing list for a couple of years now, and they seem really nice. For the first time ever, I'm going to a Con where I recognize all the names on the Guests-of-Honor list. (Which reminds me, if I can find what's left of my Magic cards, I want to dig out a few for NeNe Thomas to sign - I got rid of most of my cards, but kept copies of the ones with artwork I especially liked.)

We'll see, I suppose. See you on Monday!

No comments: