Monday, April 17, 2000

17 April 2000

Well, that was certainly much more like a weekend! Not that anything especially exciting happened, but at least I didn't spend the whole thing in bed with my skull splitting open.

We slept in both mornings, went to K.T.'s game on Saturday, and went to see my parents on Sunday. We wound up at my folks' until almost 9:30, watching a special on the Discovery channel called Walking with Dinosaurs that was just fantastic.


I've got to be the only person in the world, except of course my mother, who can kill mint and ivy. I'd set the potted mint outside to take advantage of our sunny afternoons, and then got sick, and it didn't even occur to me to ask Matt to water the thing. So now I've got six or so shrivelled, pathetic-looking stalks, and three stalks that might recover, if I leave them in the kitchen window for the next several months.

The ivy I brought from my parents' house to plant around the base of my mailbox. Being a vine, ivy's usually pretty easy to transplant - just make sure you get a bunch of the rootlings on the vine covered, and keep it watered until it sets in, and you're set. Ha! Apparently I didn't pay enough attention to it, and the rain washed away the dirt I'd piled on the rootlets, leaving the whole plant exposed and unwatered.

Just call me Liz the Blackthumb.


Tomorrow is Matt's and my second anniversary. He wrapped my presents on Saturday and set them out where I'd see them frequently to tease me. I need to try to remember to bring his presents home from work this afternoon so I can wrap them.

I've warned him already that they're not very exciting. I have trouble picking out presents for Matt - what do you get for a guy that's romantic without being cheesy? So I ditched romance and just went for fun. I hope. Well, we'll see.


Word of the Day: bombast - pretentious or inflated speech or writing

I'm surrounded by bombast. The political season is gearing up: time for even more nonsense than usual from the politicians. I work in an office of a large corporation: managers can't say anything without tacking on at least four unnecessary (and nonexistant) words.

C'mon, gimme a word with some challenge!

No comments: