Friday, February 27, 2009

It Rains, It Pours

I spoke too soon. I was about ten feet from the YMCA's front door yesterday when my cell phone rang. It was daycare, giving me a courtesy call to let me know that Alex had had two rounds of diarrhea, and if he had a third, they'd need to send him home.

I told them that I was about to walk into a building that had no cell reception, so if it happened, to call Matt. Because I forgot that Matt was in an all-day meeting, away from his phone.

I remembered it while I was on the elliptical, so when I finished my workout, I called daycare back, just to check in. (The Y is on the same side of town as daycare, so I would've felt pretty dumb going back to the office and then having to drive all the way back out there.) Sure enough, he'd had a third, so I went and got him.

He's home today, too, which is something of a problem: Matt's office is getting ready for a build to go live this weekend and they really need him to work, but I really have to be in the office this morning for an interview for my security clearance. So I'm working this morning, and Matt will go in once I get home. To further complicate matters, I need to get my allergy shot today, Penny's school is having a half-day, and the cat's annual checkup is this afternoon.

Oy. So my current plan, if the interview guy shows up on time, is to leave work as soon as the interview is done at 11:30 and go get my allergy shot, and then pick Penny up from school. Of course, that's shaving the timing pretty close, so it depends on the security interview really ending no later than 11:30. If it runs later than that, I'll have to drag Penny and Alex with me to the allergy office.

As for the cat, I'll call my parents at some point and ask if they can come help out for an hour or so and watch Alex while I take Ziggy to the vet. Penny can either come with me or stay home with my folks; that's up to her, but there's no way I'm hauling 20 pounds of baby on top of 20 pounds of cat. It's just not happening.

And in the meantime, I've got a document to review, two more to check into CM, and timecards to approve.

No comments: