Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Persimmons

So, rather than another boring complaint about lack of sleep/lack of time/hating my job, I'm begging for help.

Our CSA box included about a pound of persimmons last week, and I want to do something with them before they start to go bad.

I don't really like persimmons raw and by themselves, so I thought I'd cook up something with them, but all the recipes I'm finding either a) make desserts, and/or b) need at least 2 pounds of the dang things. Seriously? Every other fruit in the universe has been used to make chicken and pork glazes or sauces; surely persimmons can be used that way, too!

I'm looking for something that will use between 1/2 to 1 pound of the dang things, which doesn't call for too much added sugar or starch. Unfortunately, I really don't know much about them: do they stew? Do they bake? Can I substitute them for apples? Would they mix with apples?

Help me out here, internets!

1 comment:

Glossaria said...

Persimmons are a little too jelly-like (when ripe, at least) to do much more with them than make something jelly- or chutney-like, which is why it shows up in a lot of dessert-type filler. That said, the flavor pairs REALLY nicely with leaner cuts of pork. Just to toss out the first three tasty-recipes I came across:
Persimmon Pork Medallions (Bella Online)
Braised Pork with Fuyu Persimmon (Epicurious)
Roast Pork Tenderloin with Persimmon-Apricot Sauce (John & Belle Have A Blog)

Pioneer Woman's also got a good-looking recipe for Persimmon Soup, tho' that may require more of the fruit than you have. (It may defeat the purpose, but... they ARE available in the supermarket now, if you need more...)

Good luck!