Friday, February 12, 1999

Archive - 12 Feb 1999

Well, chances are I won't write for this journal much this weekend, and I have Monday off for President's Day. So let me wish you a Happy Valentine's Day. I love you. (After all, you bother to read this journal...)

Wednesday evening Matt told me that I might get a Valentine's Day present on Thursday. "Thursday?" I exclaimed. "What's wrong with Friday?" Matt got a moderately grumpy look and explained that They hadn't been able to promise him a Friday delivery. Wednesday night, he contacted Their online customer support, but couldn't get any answers. But nothing arrived on Thursday.

He let it slip Thursday evening that the present - whatever it was - was going to be delivered via FedEx. Well, I thought, it certainly isn't going to be flowers, then. I speculated much, but couldn't decide on a guess. So this morning I worked keeping one eye out for the FedEx truck...

The FedEx truck showed up just as I was heading downstairs to the kitchen for lunch. Ten minutes into lunch, one of our officemates came into the kitchen and had a very quiet conversation with Matt, who promptly left. He returned a few minutes later and explained that he'd gone to arrange my gift.

I can act very cool if I work hard at it.

So I ate my pasta... My pineapple... My apple slices... I'd been intending to save my carrot sticks for an afternoon snack, but Matt was still working on his lunch when I'd finished mine, so I ate the carrots, too. Slowly. I made Matt wait when he finished. He even commented on it: "You're awfully blasé." I smiled mysteriously: "I'll get it." (Of course, all the time I wanted to forget lunch and go running up the stairs...)

It was worth the wait - a huge bouquet of rose-red tulips. I didn't count them all, but Matt tells me there are supposed to be fifty of them! I didn't want to leave them lying down, so I wedged the stems into my coffee mug. I hope I have a big enough vase at home, though! It may take two. That wouldn't be so bad - I could bring one back to work with me next week.

Anyway, I just wanted to brag about My Guy and his resourcefulness. (For those of you who are wondering why my flowers were delivered via FedEx and not FTD, he actually tried to go to a local florist to order the flowers, but they closed about the same time he left the office. So he ordered the flowers online from 1-800 Flowers. Maybe I'll get Matt to take a picture of me with the flowers after I get them into a vase.

No comments: