Friday, February 19, 1999

Archive - 19 Feb 1999

Whew. I hate bad dreams. I had a doozy this morning, for a good two hours. I couldn't escape it, either - I woke up several times and once even got out of bed, but as soon as I closed my eyes, I was right back in that same dream. It wasn't as bad as some; the circumstances of this one were so patently absurd that as soon as I woke up, I knew there wasn't anything to it, but I didn't sleep well and as a result I'm very tired this morning.

I can't remember the early stages of the dream, but it seemed I was one of a dozen or so people who had been enslaved or captured (the circumstances weren't very clear) by this Woman (capitalized because I don't know that she had a name) and she was driving us like cattle all over the country. Every now and then one of us would try to escape to alert the police, but they always ended up battered and bruised and back at our feet. Somehow, she decided she had to take us to this cafeteria to eat, and I decided that I had to try to get away. So I took this plastic toy duck and went and sat in the children's playpen playing with it (don't ask how I thought this would help me escape; logic wasn't a strong factor here) but every time I heard footsteps coming around the corner, I couldn't resist looking to see if it was her coming to look for me. After this had happened a few times, I decided I was never going to escape, so I left the duck in the playpen and went back to the table with the rest of the captives. They were reading notes that she had left for us, and mine contained some veiled references to duck hunting, so I was afraid she knew what I'd tried. Just when I was trying to figure out whether it was coincidence or not, I turned around and there was my mom, standing with her arms outstretched. (That surprised me. I don't usually dream about people that I know in real life.) But I was so happy to see her that I ran to her and hugged her before I realized what I'd done. The Woman came up and started saying things like "Oh, another one for the collection," and I begged her to let my mom go, and eventually she gave in, more out of boredom than any compassion or mercy. Right before I woke up, I was backing away from my Mom toward the Woman, facing my mom and gesturing for her to hurry up and leave before the Woman changed her mind, and frantically mouthing to her that she should get the police, not sure if she could read my lips...

Anyway, it wasn't really that awful, as I said, because the whole thing was so ridiculous that I couldn't take any of it seriously. (If the Woman had some kind of power to control a dozen or so adults, what made us think that the police could help? And what the heck was up with that duck?)

I'm not one to analyze dreams, really, so I haven't tried. Especially considering how tired I am this morning. But it's been quite a while since I had a dream this vivid, so I thought I'd try to write it down. And then I thought, as long as I was writing it down, I'd put it up in my journal. Maybe someone else out there can interpret it for me. Or maybe you'll just get a kick out of it. ::grin::

No comments: