Tuesday, February 9, 1999

Archive - 9 Feb 1999

A whole week? Already? And so much has happened...

Well, okay, maybe not. Matt and I are still obsessed about our house. I suppose that won't wear off until we've actually be in it for a while... Got the news today that our loan has been approved and the floorplans are ready for our inspection! Whooo-hoo! Matt and I have an appointment on Saturday to go over to the model house and go over everything.

Had a rough couple of days last week. I'm not especially keen on a lot of things about the project I'm currently on, and along about Wednesday or Thursday I seriously started thinking about maybe getting into a new line of work. NOT something to do when you're about to buy a house, and of course it's not the entire job I hate; just this project. So I took Friday off for a mental-health day.

The plan was to spend the day spoiling myself; see if I could drag up out of the semi-funk I've been in lately. I did manage to sleep in a little, and spent a lot of time petting the cat. (Very important job, petting the cat...) It started to go wrong when I decided to take a bath instead of a shower.

What could be more luxurious than soaking in a hot tub with some nice-smelling candles in the background and a good book to read? I got the water just the right temperature, lit the candle, set the book carefully out of splash-area, but within reach, and stepped in... Oh, yeah. I haven't actually taken a bath in about five years. And I've gotten so fat in that time that I couldn't get the water to cover my thighs, much less allow me to luxuriate. Oh, well. I gave it a valiant attempt for a couple of chapters until the cat decided that he wanted to sit on my chest, then gave up and took a shower instead.

I'd planned for most of the rest of the day to do a little shopping, take myself to lunch, watch a movie - in short, continue with the plan. But a fair amount of the shopping I did was errands for the house (a utility knife so I could change the county sticker on my car, some fake flowers for a vase that's been sitting empty for the last nine months, clotheshangers... Like that.) And the shopping that was for me was a bit disappointing. The local crafts store can't seem to keep yarn in stock for more than an hour at a time. Lunch was good, but when I added it up later in my Weight Watchers book, it had cost me half of my allotted points for the day! And I'd had a salad! I was disappointed, to say the least.

The afternoon was better - I put on a movie and curled up on the couch with some knitting while I watched it. And that evening Matt and I went to Portsmouth to meet with some friends. We'd intended to do some gaming, but wound up going out to dinner and then sitting around talking all night. (And I totally blew my Weight Watcher's allotment anyway by having a big slice of tirami su for dessert! And it was worth every bite!)

KT and Kevin are moving back into this area this weekend. KT's very happy about it - Lynchburg drives her batshit with its heavily religious atmosphere and less-than-thrilling nightlife. I'm not sure how Kevin feels - I don't know him as well as I know KT - but he sounded like he was relieved to be out of Lynchburg, though disappointed that he didn't get the job promotion that would have kept them there. And Matt and KT seem to be trying to work out their differences, which is a big relief to me. (If you don't know, you don't want to. Just trust me on that.) There are still some doubts, though. KT's sense of humor is, well, biting - to say the least. And she doesn't feel any particular compulsion to lay off of someone just because they're not present. (In fact, she might even be a little crueler when they're not present.) And several friends have felt the need to tell me, after they've seen KT, what sorts of things she says about Matt and me behind our backs. I suppose it's because they don't believe her when she says she's gotten over It, and they want to warn me that her motives might not be the best. If you're reading this - and you know who you are out there - give up. I don't tell you what she says behind your back, do I? And believe me, she says plenty. You didn't think you were special, did you? It's just the way she is, and it's got nothing to do with the Event.

Well, now that I've got that off my chest... Wow. This has gotten pretty long, hasn't it? Guess I'll sign off and ramble some more at another time. And I get to go Weight Watchers tonight and see how much damage that tirami su did... Wish me luck!

No comments: