Thursday, May 11, 2000

11 May 2000

Yup. 'Bout what I figured.

Braz and Kris arrived around 9:30 last night, and Matt and Braz immediately turned into kids. Kris and I mostly just watched. They're both great guys alone - cheerful, intelligent, enthusiastic, and friendly - but put them together, and it's like they become part of a hive mind or something and turn into two hands of Loki.

After we'd sat around kibbitzing and telling jokes and stories for a while, they turned on the television to watch a baseball game. Kris and I watched for a while, then went upstairs. But really, there's no place for two people to just sit and relax and chat in our house except in the living room, so eventually we wound up back downstairs. We pestered the boys by asking them inane questions about baseball and talking to each other about the appearance of various players.

"What's the difference between a called strike and a regular strike?"

(A longish explanation ensues which boils down to: whether the batter swings.)

"He looks like a redneck."

"He's not a redneck, sweetheart."

"I think it's the way his hair sticks out like that."

"He's from California! He talks perfectly normally!"

I think you're right, Kris, he does look like a redneck."

"Looks don't matter when you've got an arm like that!"

"Hey, his ass looks normal!"

"What?"

"Baseball uniforms make the guys' butts look enormous! But his looks normal. He must have no ass!"

Like that. Eventually Kris decided to turn in. I thought about doing the same, but our bedroom is directly over the living room. If the game got exciting, even a little bit, I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway. So I stayed on the couch between them and asked idiot questions. I'd say I learned a lot about baseball, but it was pretty late, so I think I just succeeded in keeping myself entertained.

I did learn that Braz thinks Joe Morgan is the most annoying sports commentator in the universe. And hey, I've never known the name of a sports commentator before. (Well, unless you count Howard Cosell, but he's dead.)

Finally, around one in the morning, they decided they didn't want to see the end of the game (which is good, because it had the potential to drag on for another couple of hours, being a tied-game pitcher's duel) and we all went to bed. So today I've had... Let me think, this is practically higher mathematics... A little more than four and a half hours of sleep.

It's a good thing for me that the work I have to do today is fairly mindless.


I could have actual work to do at work again soon. Yesterday we had the "post-mortem" meeting for the last project, so they're almost ready to move on to the next stage.

The problem with the post-mortem was this: The project involved something like four applications, of which I wrote one. The people who wrote the other three actually went to the trade-show last week, and so they already knew what bugs had been found in their code. So it felt like about half the post-mortem was a bug report on my application. I mean, they listed the problems with their applications, but it was all in shorthand, because they already knew what they were talking about.

"There's that one problem with the lockup on [component A]."

"Yeah. And Liz, your application does this weird thing if I... [Insert long explanation of the problem.]"

"Oh, and the status messages don't work right all the time."

"And you really ought to save the data when you go to another screen."

"Oh, don't forget to add the doohickey to [component B]."

Hmph.


Oh, Matt after reading yesterday's entry told me, "This is the Web. Everyone wants you to post erotica!" So I did. It's not all up, yet, but I'll get around to it. Possibly even by the time you're reading this.


Word of the Day: accolade - a mark of acknowledgement, award; an expression of praise

Right now, I'd offer accolades to anyone willing to start the coffeemaker. Oh wait - I'm the only person in the building this early. Guess I'll have to go start it myself.

No comments: