Monday, May 8, 2000

8 May 2000

I spent part of Friday afternoon making some phone calls that had been put off for too long. The last call I made was to the video club we're collecting the Babylon 5 tapes from.

First of all, there was no autmated menu to navigate. Not even a single button. The automatic phone-answerer simply picked up and told me that my call would be answered in the order in which it was received.

After less than thirty seconds on hold, a customer service representative picked up. He was courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful. He told me he was familiar with the problem we were having, what had caused it, and assured me that it would be fixed as soon as possible.

It was the Customer Service Call from the Twilight Zone, I swear...


Driving home from the game Saturday night, I passed a couple of cops pulling back onto the highway after giving someone a ticket. I checked my speed, saw that I was doing only maybe four miles over the speed limit, and didn't worry about it too much.

Until I saw the flashing blue lights.

I pulled my driver's license out, and had Matt look for the registration in the glove compartment. Matt looked. And looked. And looked, while the cop waited patiently and I started to get embarassed. Every registration I've had for this car, we found, except the current one.

The cop calmly informed me that the stickers on my plate in fact matched the most recent registration, which expired in March, and then wrote me a ticket.


Our air conditioner is broken again. Same problem as last time, though it looks like the cause may be different - water is leaking from inside the unit and pooling in the catch basin at the bottom. Just in time for a week of record highs. Since we were going to be home all day Sunday, we turned it on anyway and kept an eye on it.

All day, the water level in the catch basin stayed the same. Matt saw some water leaking in the evening, but since the water level in the basin hadn't changed, we left the AC on during the night, hoping that the water leaking Friday had been a fluke.

This morning, the catch basin was almost full. I turned the damn thing off again, and will call the repair crew today to raise hell.


Got meade?The reason the rest of this entry is so pathetic today is that I'm currently completely wrapped up in the latest developments on the Meade Hall. I spent half the day online with Braz on Friday - including a late-night session from which he was bumped and never came back. We decided to finish it last night, and I almost wish we hadn't.

If you've ever had a character that actually lived in your brain, one you had no control over, you'll understand this. If you haven't, then you might as well skip this, because that's what I'm talking about.

Marten left Zoya last night. Not to protect her, or do some task, or even because he doesn't love her any more - but because he couldn't handle the fact that she can't trust the... ghost, or whatever it is, that moved into his mind and is occasionally taking over. She wanted to set him up in the Tower so the Tower wouldn't let him leave without her; that way even if the ghost took over, he couldn't get out to harm anyone. But no, Marten decides that if she can't trust him, he might as well leave.

Zoya was - and is - heartbroken. And it's a damn good thing that she keeps her word, even if he doesn't want her to anymore, because sure enough, as soon as he left, that thing took over again. So she's watching him, ready to act if he does anything out of line. But she is furious with Marten for acting so selfishly, and it's entirely possible that he will lose her over this. Even though, damn it, she still loves him.

Zoya is so angry, she's stomping around in my brain, not letting me get any rest. It took me until 1AM to get to sleep last night, and when the cat woke me up just after five, I couldn't get back to sleep. So I'm running on only four hours of sleep, and I still can't get Zoya's raving out of my head.

And to make matters worse, our e-mail's broken. The transcripts I sent myself yesterday to be cleaned up and posted; the letter Karen sent that needs to be replied to - none of it's here. And I've got at least three different e-mails to write today with regards to the Hall, and I'll have to do them all via Hotmail now. Yuck.

The way my day is going, they'll give me actual work to do in a few minutes and I won't be able to do any mail at all.


Word of the Day: adduce - to offer as example, reason, or proof in discussion or analysis

You will have adduced by now that I'm more than slightly obsessed with this plot. Even more so now, since I found out last night that Zoya's part in it is more than simple love-interest.

I just wish Zoya's moods didn't color my own quite so vividly.

No comments: