Tuesday, May 2, 2000

2 May 2000

So I was looking at my potted herbs last night, pleased at how well the spearmint was recovering from being left outside unwatered for the week I was sick, when I noticed something odd about the biggest plant.

It had a slight bulging in the center. It doesn't bulge when it begins new leaves - they just appear and slowly get bigger. Which means that this is the beginnings of a flower.

Except spearmint doesn't flower. Which means that this is my catnip plant, and the spearmint plant is the one that's currently outside, healthily getting bigger every day. I guess that's what I get for throwing out the pictures of the plants...


I was idly looking through my site referrer logs yesterday when I came across something new. A little more than half of the referrers in my logs are listed as "Unknown" which I think is what I get when someone comes to this page from a bookmark. Then there are a number of assorted hits that I get through various webrings and 'burbs I belong to, and the occasional hit from a search engine. (Those can sometimes be pretty funny, actually.)

So I saw a hit from a page I hadn't seen before, and followed it out of curiosity, expecting to see a ring logo. Instead, I saw Journals I Read and right there in the list, among such well-known journalers as Tracing, Iko, and Willa, was me!

I know K.T., Matt, and Braz all link to me, but this is someone I don't know! I was heady with the shock. A true first, I believe, for Reflections! It's a newish journal, called The Armless Maiden - go take a look!


I've got a doctor's appointment this afternoon. Whee... Time for the annual Poking and Prodding. The Lecture About Losing Weight. The Drawing of Blood. The Listing of Chronic Conditions and the Writing of Prescriptions. And that most fun and enjoyable of examinations, the Pelvic and Pap. Hooo-wa. Can't wait.

At least my doctor doesn't treat me like an idiot. He explains things, if he can. He tells me stories about other patients with similar cases. He gives me the prescriptions I ask for and trusts me to use them correctly.

But it doesn't make the trip any more fun.


Got Meade?The Meade Hall was fun last night. We were right on the verge of getting Temire to spill everything she knew about the recent trip to Kara Tur when Jaret strolled in and, essentially, told her to shut up. Damn!

For some reason, Matt is being very closed-mouthed about the trip, and he's making both of Jeff's characters be closed-mouthed as well. (Well, he didn't shut Michelle up, but Michelle can't separate the facts from the conclusions she drew from them, so Michelle's accounting of the trip is almost useless.) In the meantime, Glossaria is convinced that some force is out to harm Zoya and is following her around like a shadow; Lisl is trying to squeeze water from stones; Marten is still having random attacks of memory that don't belong to him; and the new bard, Bronwyn, is just curious enough to make Zoya slightly suspicious. (Plus, she wants to meet S'ayad'i.) And I'm not sure, but I think Marten moved his relationship with Zoya up to the next level last night.

Maybe. I won't know for sure until I get some e-mail from Braz.

So it's business as usual.


Word of the Day: autochthonous - indigenous, native

Is it weird that when I opened up my e-mail this morning, I spent several minutes figuring out how this word should be pronounced instead of just looking at the pronunciation guide that was right next to it? (\aw-TAHK-thuh-nus\, in case you're curious.)

As fascinated as I get by words and sounds and things, you'd think I'd have chosen a field of study other than mathematics, wouldn't you?

And in a weird reversal of writing, now instead of wracking my brain trying to use the word of the day in a sentence or paragraph, I find that I'm very specifically not using it in any way. Damn it, I want to just brainstorm, not write according to some bizarre and unwritten set of rules!

No comments: