Friday, June 1, 2012

Filling Up

Hey, it's June!

The year is nearly half done. In two weeks, Penny will be done with the 3rd grade, and the week after that, Alex will be officially four and a half. In ten weeks, Penny will be a 9-year-old, and a couple of days after that, the whole family will be going to Cancun for our vacation.

Our summer weekends are already starting to fill up. Heck, my fall weekends are starting to fill up, as I just tentatively reserved myself a couple of days to go to the Roanoke Pride event again in September.

***

Last night, Alex was hanging over the arm of the chair and he said, "Hey, Mom, the yellow phone is down there."

I had no idea what he was talking about. I thought he was asking me to retrieve some toy for him. "Fine, get out of the way so I can reach--" And then I saw it.

Not some random toy. My old iPhone, dubbed "the yellow phone" because the DecalGirl sticker on it is predominantly yellow. Which had been lost months ago. I'd torn up the house looking for it -- under all the living room furniture, under the couch cushions, every toy box in the playroom, even in the kids' rooms. Gone. I swear to god, I'd looked under the end table, but there it was, one corner poking out.

Huh.

A few hours with the recharge cable, and it was as good as new. Alex joyfully watched all his favorite They Might Be Giants videos on it this morning on the way to daycare.

***

I have decided that it's going to be a good weekend.

Let all who would thwart me tremble in fear.

No comments: