Tuesday, June 5, 2012

That Kind of Day

After a quick review of my email, it looks like it's going to be the kind of day where I spend it all working on a couple of different projects, for two different proposals, neither of which I have any idea how to do.

Which may contribute to it being the kind of day where I feel the need to stop at the ABC store on my way home.

***

Last night, just as I was about to go to bed, I glanced at the top of the entertainment center, where Alex has been leaving his new Captain America figure... and it wasn't there. I looked around on the floor... in the play room... No Cap.

"Did Alex bring Captain America back inside after he went out?" I asked.

I went out to see if he'd maybe left it on the porch or driveway.

"I'm counting it as gone," Matt said.

Half an hour later, unable to sleep, I got a flashlight and went back out. I walked down the street to the house where Alex's neighborhood friend lives, to see if he'd maybe left it in their yard. I walked all the way around their house, checking out the toys in the yard and the deck of their porch... No Cap.

This morning, when Alex got up, I had him put on his shoes. "Where'd you go yesterday with your Captain America?"

He led me by the hand along the edge of the street to his friend's house. "He wasn't home. But the car was there!"

"Did you maybe put Captain America down to knock on the door?"

"I knocked with Captain America!" Of course he did. Silly me.

"And then what?"

"I came home!"

"You didn't play with anyone else?"

"No."

Positive that he'd put the toy down somewhere, equally positive that some other kid had found it, I sighed and turned us homeward. Maybe later I could canvass the neighborhood kids and see if any of them had it. "Well, let's look around inside again. Do you remember where you went when you came in?"

Alex frowned and went into the play room, which I'd already searched. Slowly, he walked over to the computer desk, which I'd already looked at. Then he pushed aside the computer chair to look at the window... where Captain America was lying on the window sill.

No comments: