Tuesday, January 11, 2000

11 January 2000

I haven't quite gotten over the spurt of domesticity I had while I was unemployed. I keep thinking of things I could do for MarsCon - mostly baking and cooking - and then remember that, for one thing, I don't have enough time to do any significant cooking before (or during) MarsCon, and for another, MarsCon will feed us quite well enough.

I think I'm just looking for an excuse to make meringue kisses again.


I'm feeling much better today, thank heavens. I guess I had just eaten too much at K.T.'s party, or else I ate things that disagreed with each other. Actually, I'm thinking it might have been the combination of the wine in the punch and the irish cream in the mixed drink I had.

At any rate, I'm feeling better, which is good. But today seems to be going rather slower than yesterday, which is not. Oh, well, I can't win them all, can I? It's a lovely day; maybe I'll take a walk later.


When Becky and I decided to walk around the circle to a local restaurant for lunch, I thought the walk would do me good. I'd already eaten half my packed lunch, so I went with Becky mostly to get out of the building for a while. I just had a cup of soup and a few french fries while she ate her sandwich, and we enjoyed the nice weather.

I know people who insist that beautiful weather makes them feel invigorated and energetic. It mostly just makes me lazy. By the time we got back from lunch, what I wanted to do was take a nap - preferably outdoors, in a hammock between two big trees, with a light blanket to keep the breeze from getting too chilly.

Being outside in the cold makes me want to play, especially if there's snow. Being outside in the heat makes me want to sit still and do nothing. (I never understood why people would want to go to a tropical location for a honeymoon; the idea of having sex when the weather is warm grosses me out completely.) If there's a body of water nearby, I want to soak, but only moving enough to keep the water cool against my skin. But weather that's perfect - sunny, temperatures in the high sixties or low seventies - just makes me want to nap in it. Am I a freak, or what?


K.T. tells me that since I've started this new job, my entries have gotten sortof choppy. I didn't think that they were all that smooth to begin with - I've always skipped from topic to topic with no better transition than my divider bar. But it makes a certain amount of sense. Before now, I've been writing my entry all at one go - sit down first thing in the morning, and write until I feel like stopping. Now, I write my entry in little dribblets throughout the day,and each section is going to be affected by my current mood and very recent events.

I have hopes that as I go, it will get smoother. Maybe I should go to one of the writing topic sites and pick a topic each day? I'm not really sure I want to do that; it seems like it would limit the things I talk about unreasonably.

Opinions?

No comments: