Monday, January 31, 2000

31 January 2000

So the Super Bowl was last night, and that had to be the most disappointing round of commercials I've seen in a long time. Traditionally, I watch the Super Bowl exclusively for the commercials. It's during the game that I get up to fix snacks, refill my drink, or go to the bathroom. And last night, the commercials were almost unbelieveably bad.

Oh, there were a few good ones. Yeah, I got sortof choked up at the commercial that had Christopher Reeve walking. The two commercials that made me laugh out loud were Mountain Dew's parody of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, and the "cat-herding" commercial, though I can't remember who sponsored that one. The cats being driven through a river just cracked me up, and the "catboys" sitting around their evening fires winding string and using a sticky-lint-roll on their leather jackets was hysterical. I enjoyed Britannica.Com's quiet list of questions, but figured it would be too staid for the vast majority of watchers.

As if to make up for the lousy commercials, the game was relatively good - at least at the end. I really thought it was going to go into overtime when the Titans tied the score at 16, and then for a minute or two there I thought they might do it again right at the end. Well played!

I more or less quit listening to the announcers pretty early on; when one of them was talking about the fact that Atlanta was hosting the game, he said, "They've been pretty good to you and I." I cringed, and my spine tried to take up residence inside my brain. I thought we'd settled the usage of "me" and "I" way back in like eighth grade! Oh, well. (I now fully expect at least four e-mails telling me I'm being entirely too sensitive to the issue and that I'm probably the only person in the country who even noticed.)


We finished up Matt's Star Wars adventure on Saturday. That was a lot of fun, even if I was mostly ineffectual in combat. (As I pointed out, "Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise.") And we had Greg along, which means that I didn't actually get to figure out any of the riddles, because Greg is just this much faster than me at that sort of thing. Oh, well; I enjoyed playing diplomat.

Matt's thinking about putting together a 7th Sea game next, so I'm going to have to look through the book again to get some ideas for a character. I had one idea, but it's almost certain that the rest of the party would kill me sooner or later, so it's probably best left as an NPC. No, I'm not going to tell you! I might decide to run it after all, or Matt might decide to borrow the idea for one of his NPCs! (See this box?)


I'm fighting allergies again. I spent most of yesterday in a drugged daze, sniffling and sneezing because the drugs didn't do all that much good. I've started taking my Claritin again, but I don't know how much good that will do, either, because I highly suspect the sinus trouble is a direct result of having the weather systems fluctuate so quickly, and all I can do is ride it out. And invest in a container of Carmex.


I'm thinking of going back on the Weight Watcher's diet for a month or so; I've noticed that I'm eating way too much junk food again. I don't want to go back to going to the meetings, but I can follow the diet without going to meetings. Or maybe I'll just stop letting myself eat so much junk food. We'll see.

I finally remembered to bring diet soda to work to drink, though, so that's a help. What I ought to do is start getting some - any exercise. Dad says it's exactly one mile around the loop that our office building is on. Maybe I'll start going out during lunch and walking around the loop. Dad's offered to let me walk with him, but he "power-walks" which is way too fast for me, and besides he doesn't always go at the same time each day. But now that I'm actually working on a project at work, I'll need to take a break once in a while. And even a leisurely walk has to be better for me than sitting on my duff!

Speaking of that project, I'd better get on with it...

No comments: