Tuesday, January 4, 2000

4 January 2000

I think the word we're looking for is draconian. Someone must have abused the system in a big way to generate this much paranoia. Or maybe it's simply the result of being a large corporation, and having to cave in to every possible concern.

No software from outside to be installed. Period, end of story. Not even if I own it. I got the fish-eye when I asked whether I could bring in pictures for my desktop. Internet use for business purposes only. Browser use will be monitored, and I may be called upon to justify it.

I might be able to read the news and check my hotmail account during lunch, but I'm going to have to read my comics and journals in the evening. I think I'm going to have to reduce the journals I read down to the ones I simply can't do without.

I suspect I'm going to get a lot more use out of my Boss Doll here. And I definitely need to remember to always have a book in my bag so I have something to do during downtime, during lunch and for breaks. And a floppy disk or two with a couple of games.


1:50 pm - Jim dropped by to give me a book he's loaning Matt, and we wound up chatting about gaming a bit. It turns out that Mike I Can See is a gamer, too, so he joined in. (Yes! He talks! Apparently he's currently addicted to EverQuest - he drew a handful of maps on the whiteboard for us.) In the middle of this discussion, Jerry wandered in, and we wound up talking about gaming for something like an hour. Heh. Hard at work, that's me.

Jim says he heard the tight restrictions on internet use are because of two incidents shortly before Christmas that took place in a different office. One person was apparently downloading a lot of naughty pictures - not only unrelated to the business, but completely unprofessional. Before the memo about this came out, a 40% drain on an office internet line was traced to a single person who was playing the radio via browser.

So we figure as long as I'm not actually downloading things, and keep my surfing to lunchtime and brief lookups and such (outside of actual work-related browsing, which I will feel no remorse about) then I'm not likely to get in any trouble. And since they haven't yet told me that e-mail is monitored, then I think I'll get CNN to start sending me my daily headlines at my work address.

As soon as they get it working.


6:45 pm - I walked through my front door at 4:30, and it took me about one minute to come to the realization that the cleaning service hadn't come. I checked my mental calendar - yes, today was the day they were due. Perhaps they came at their regular time - a bit past noon - and couldn't get in because I wasn't home. I'd given the company a key, but maybe it had been lost. I grumbled a bit to myself - amazing how swiftly one gets used to a clean living space - and flopped down on the couch to finish my book.

At 4:57, the cleaning crew arrived.

Now, one reason why I have the cleaning service scheduled for every other Tuesday is that I hate being around the process of cleaning. The smell of disinfectants and raised dust makes me sneeze, and the vapors and noise conspires to give me a headache. It's my secondary reason (after laziness) why I'm such a terrible housekeeper in the first place. So when Matt got home less than two minutes later, I proposed to take him out to dinner, so we could get out of the way.

Yeah, that's me. I'll use any excuse, no matter how lame, to get out of cooking.

No comments: