Tuesday, January 18, 2000

18 January 2000

Today is my dad's birthday. Happy birthday, Dad!


Gods, what a night. I got a nap yesterday afternoon and was feeling pretty happy because I'd gotten all caught up on my sleep, and then I spent half the night tossing and turning; alternating between being freezing cold and broiling hot; having the strangest dreams...

One dream involved a snake. At least, I think it was a snake. It was reptilian, about two feet long, no limbs. But it was triangle shaped - it was probably about four inches wide at the jaws, and tapered regularly back down the tail. And it didn't feel quite right - have you ever held a snake? They're very firm; all muscle. This felt sortof squishy, exactly like - now that I think about it - my gel wrist-rest. Anyway, it had... Um... Secondary eyes? Antenna? No, it wasn't antenna. There were these two little eye-stalks, like cartoon slugs and snails have, growing out of the spot just between and above its regular eyes. They were retractable; I think the eyestalks only popped out when it wanted to look in more than one direction at a time. In the dream, I was vaguely repulsed, but for some reason, I had to hold this snake-thing. If I tried to put it down on a shelf or something, it would start to crawl off, but if I offered it my arm to sit on, it would sortof curl up into a sloppy coil and sit there quite calmly.


So here we are, Tuesday morning, and I'm sucking back coffee like the nectar of the gods, hoping desperately I can manage to stay awake until lunchtime. Lucky for me, my supervisor is planning on coming in late, if at all, today.

Speaking of my supervisor, he put together a list of stupid macros in Microsoft's C++, which is sortof funny, if you're a programmer, in a sick kind of way. Here's a few:
INT, CHAR, LONG, FLOAT, DOUBLE, VOID
Presumably these macros offer something that int, char, long, float, double, and void don't. I'm open to ideas.
TRUE, FALSE
These macros are apparently designed to punish those too lazy to learn the actual values of a boolean operation with extra typing.
MAKEINTRESOURCE(p)
Apparently Microsoft finds this more intuitive than (void *)p.
There. If you think those were funny, I've got a bunch more - ask, and ye shall receive. (If you didn't think they were funny, then you're probably not a C programmer, and you're welcome to ignore the whole thing.)


Afternoon update: My day at work was surprisingly fulfilling. On Thursday, my supervisor had pulled me and the Two Mikes into a meeting to go over his method of handling application windows and tab controls (again, if that didn't make sense, don't let it bother you) and I decided that my job for this week would be to take his template and mess with it until I felt I understood it.

And by about three, that's exactly what had happened. I don't think I'd have come up with this code on my own - CK uses too many tricks that I didn't know were possible, and occasionally takes the long way around things to make up for some things that I think are pretty minor and could be done without. But that's okay; I not only was pretty sure I understood how the structures worked, I tested my understanding by making some additions. I didn't have it right on the money, but my additions needed only one minor fix before they worked.

So I'm feeling pretty happy with myself, pleased with the universe, and ready to spend the evening relaxing.

No comments: