Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sanguine

I went in for bloodwork a few weeks ago, because my synthyroid prescription is just about done and I can't get a new one unless I've had my thyroid levels tested in the last six months.

I got an automated message from the lab before my appointment, instructing me to not eat anything that morning. Which I found odd; they've never made me fast for my thyroid tests before. But whatever, it was a 9 AM appointment, so putting breakfast off until 9:30 wasn't that big a deal.

I went in, I suffered through the usual rigmarole that goes along with having deep, rolly veins, I pocketed the card they gave me that told me how to access my results, and promptly forgot about it.

This morning, I found the card and realized I'd never collected my results. So I dialed in, and discovered why they'd had me come in on an empty stomach: In addition to my thyroid levels, my doctor apparently attached a rider requesting cholesterol and blood sugar screenings. Both of which are more accurate if you're fasting.

I was almost annoyed (even at my fattest, I've never had significant problems with either of those) but then I was sort of curious about whether my much-improved weight and increased exercise regimen have changed things much. I know, for instance, that my blood pressure has come down -- it used to be at the high end of normal, and the last time I had it checked, it was close to the low end of normal, so much so that the doctor asked if I sometimes felt dizzy when I stood up too fast (why yes, actually) and cautioned me to take position changes easy, to be safe.

Well, the doctor didn't tell me my thyroid or blood sugar results, except to say that they were both "normal," so I don't know if they've changed at all. I can do my own blood sugar test, though, with Penny's kit, if I'm all that curious about it. And while thyroid problems can affect your weight, the reverse is not generally true, so I doubt it shifted much.

My cholesterol is gratifyingly shifted, though -- the last time I had it checked was when I was pregnant with Alex, and it was within normal bounds, but only barely -- 190-something, and my LDL (bad) level was actually a bit higher than the tolerance level of 100. Now my total is 158, with the LDL down to 77. So yay, diet and exercise and decreased risk of heart disease!

Now I just need to call my doctor's office and get them to re-up my synthyroid prescription for another six months.

No comments: