Friday, May 11, 2012

Working Backward

"I want to do something simple for Mother's Day dinner," I told my sister-in-law, "because we're helping friends move the day before. Maybe just a nice beef stew."

Beef stew has to cook for a good long while if you want the beef to be tender instead of tough. And then I'm taking it to my parents', so I want some time for the pot to cool down a bit before I try to transport it. So, working backwards: Need to leave for my parents' around 3:30... so I need to take the pot off the stove by 2:00... so I need to start browning meat and chopping veggies by about 9:30... so I need to do the grocery shopping right at 8:30 as soon as I get up.

Except it's Mother's Day, and there has been mention of a breakfast in bed planned. Scratch that. Do the grocery shopping Saturday night?

Nope, nope, nope. We're helping friends move on Saturday, and given the list of friends coming from out of town, I expect we'll stay late enough that I'm not going to want to do the grocery shopping Saturday night.

Saturday morning? Nope. Heading out by 9:00 Saturday morning, not really going to be time to shop before that.

Friday night? That's our usual night to hang out with the Hedge, and we don't generally get home until quite late.

Friday afternoon? Would've been a candidate, except that the cat has a vet appointment.

So... Grocery shopping on Thursday evening it was, then.

Which is all my way of saying: gonna be a busy weekend. Y'all have a good one, and I'll see you on Monday!

No comments: