Wednesday, February 16, 2000

16 February 2000

Well, I got some much-needed sleep yesterday. Unfortunately, some of it was during the boring meeting, and I let my notepad slide out of my hands and off my lap to the floor. Heh-heh-heh. Then I made the mistake of leaving my notepad right-side-up on my chair when I went to get my lunch, and someone noticed the elaborate doodles I'd been making. Heh. Okay, so I don't do well in meetings. I did come up with several ideas for my game while I was sitting there doodling, though, so the three hours weren't entirely wasted!


After I got home, I changed the cat's litter, put my new county sticker on my car, and then lounged on the couch to read. When Matt got home, I greeted him and then went back to my book when Matt went upstairs to check his mail.

The next thing I knew, Matt was turning on the light, waking me up.

I went to bed early, but it was something of a rough night.

Around 2:30, I rolled over and woke up a bit when the cat pulled his tail back out from under me. He doesn't often snuggle down into the bed between Matt and I, so I smiled and petted him a little and went back to sleep.

Then the weird dream hit.
 
I got up to go to the bathroom. After I flushed, I took a step off the bathmat to head back to bed, and my sandal made a soft splash noise. Oh, no... I thought, and turned around to look. There was not one, not even two, but three toilets in the bathroom, every one of them the sleek and glossy black of a sportscar. Where'd the extra toilet come from? I thought, and went to ask Matt.

"Why do we have three toilets?" I asked him.

Sleepily, he suggested that the third had been delivered by workmen when we weren't home, and hadn't been installed yet.

"But it
flushed! I protest.

Closer examination reveals that the toilet is taking water in from somewhere, but dumping it on the floor. Irritably, I go to get some towels to clean up the mess. After a long and confused while during which I have to climb over obstacles and hunt through innumerable bags to find a towel, I return with one. Matt has in the meantime gotten out of bed and - for reasons best known to him - taken all the clothes out of the closet.

"Look at this!" he says. I follow him into the closet where the wall, now revealed, is black with mold and rot, and peeling away from the supports.

I am aghast. "We need to call the builder to fix this right away!"

I go back into the bathroom and start wadding the towel up on the floor. I see another towel in the spare shower
(spare shower?) but can't figure out how to get to it. The spare shower is at the back of a nook at least ten feet deep, and there's no floor between the door to the shower and the tub - you have to jump to get there, and the floor on which to land looks awfully slippery...

There's a loud clatter behind me, and I turn around but don't see anything but the three glossy toilets and the counter. Matt comes in. "The damn skylight fell in!" Skylight? I look up, and sure enough, there's a vent leading up to a skylight which hasn't been attached to the roof, but propped into place by three boards that look sortof like railroad ties. One of them has fallen to the floor, and the skylight itself is slipping...
No, I don't get it, either.

I woke up just a little when the cat climbed over me and jumped off the bed, and then woke up rather more when I realized the cat was making the hrrk! noises that accompany his hairballs. Matt and I both sat straight up. "No!"

I looked over the side of the bed, and he'd already deposited one hairball on my sneakers. I picked him up and tossed him into the bathroom (checking quickly to make sure there was still only one white toilet) to finish his business. I rinsed off the sneaker, decided to leave the rest of the mess until morning, and went back to bed.

Naturally, at 5:15, the cat decided he wanted to be fed and began rubbing his face against my chin. I woke up and groggily led the way down to the kitchen and into the garage, and went back to bed.

So, while I probably got ten hours of sleep yesterday, I'm still feeling tired, because the longest uninterrupted bit of sleep I got was only about five hours.

No comments: