Tuesday, February 22, 2000

22 February 2000

The rest of my weekend was much less busy than Saturday. On Sunday we did the laundry, went out to eat, and stopped in to visit my parents for a little while before going down to Hampton for the third and final time to feed the assorted critters. Monday - ah, glorious holiday! - we went to Sam's Club and did the grocery shopping, but mostly spent the day lounging around the house in wonderful sloth.


Talking with my parents about plans for my brother's wedding this summer, Matt asked if they knew where they were registered yet. I looked at him in disbelief.

I love my brother, and I adore his fiancee, but our plane tickets to the wedding are going to be $750 each! That doesn't include at least three nights of staying in a hotel, not to mention assorted clothing costs! Mind you, I wouldn't miss this wedding for anything short of a trip to the hospital, but still.

"They're going to get the afghan I'm making," I reminded Matt.

It was his turn to look at me in disbelief. For approximately the past two months, the afghan has been stuffed under the table next to the couch, untouched.

"Well," he said, choosing his words with evident care, "where are they registered anyway, just in case you don't finish the afghan on time?"

Sigh. Thus reminded, I fished the afghan out from under the table and got in about four hours of work that night and Monday. I estimate that another four or five hours will finish it.


Someone brought a bottle of Colonial Williamsburg mulled sparkling cider to our New Year's party, either as a contribution to the party or as a guest-gift, I'm not sure which. I think I remember who it was that brought it, but if I turn out to be wrong, then someone's feelings are going to be hurt, and it doesn't really matter right now, anyway.

The point is that there was this bottle of (nonalcoholic) cider in our refrigerator that we've been looking at for almost two months, and last night Matt decided to heck with it, and opened it.

We each had a cupful. It was actually quite tasty - sortof like apple juice mixed with good spicy ginger ale and rather a lot of cinnamon and nutmeg. In any case, there were about three fingers of cider left in the bottle, and as we got ready to get on the MeadeHall last night, Matt prepared to finish it off. Sweetheart that he is, he offered it to me first.

"Do you want this mulled spider?"


Becky is gone from the office - she's on travel to New Mexico for a couple of weeks. She asked me to look after her plants while she's gone.

I warned her about me and plants, I did!

She didn't quite believe me, so she brought them over anyway, but we put them on the bookshelf that's away in the center of the room instead of on my desk. Hopefully, they'll be distracted and not realize that I'm the one watering them.


We had a fun time on the MeadeHall last night. Braz is running a plot right now where his Werewolf character, Moon Dancer, has returned after a long absence and has lost all memory of us. He claims to be a member of some secret Brotherhood, but is unwilling for safety reasons to tell us anything whatsoever about this Brotherhood. More astonishingly, he doesn't seem to be a werewolf anymore. His first night back, he was engaged in combat and touched with silver - he wasn't harmed by the silver, and his wounds didn't close of themselves.

This smacks of something sinister.

My character, Zoya, is determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, but she doesn't want to destroy Marten (the name 'Dancer is using in his amnesia). She especially wants to be careful about how she goes about her investigations - it's entirely possible that 'Dancer had a very good reason for subsuming his true personality and having the wolf removed, even if we didn't even know that was possible.

Of course, "possible" doesn't mean "probable" and I rather suspect this suspicious Brotherhood is using 'Dancer/Marten for their own ends, so I hope we'll be able to get to the bottom of the matter soon.

More disturbing, Marten was flirting with Zoya last night.

Zoya doesn't handle intimate relationships very well. To begin with, she's sortof odd-looking - six feet tall, thin to the point of emaciation, and has bright white hair (well, that's not as odd as it used to be, since her hair used to be purple.) And her voice is that of a man, the result of a magical accident during her apprenticeship. She did have a couple of romances as a young adventurer, but they ended quite badly for her, and she has since devoted herself entirely to her studies. (Truth be told, she still carries a tiny bit of a torch for her master, long dead and far away as he is.)

Marten's flirting could have disastrous results.

If she lets him through her barriers, then she is only setting herself up for disappointment when his memory of being Moon Dancer returns. Nor have I discounted the possibility that - consciously or not - Marten is following some order of his Brotherhood that demands some sort of mischief against Zoya, and that this is the method he is using to get close enough to her to do that.

Luckily, Zoya is as oblivious as she is clueless, and she believes Marten's attentions were merely a reflection of his own interest in retrieving his missing memories.

No matter what happens, it should be interesting...

No comments: