Thursday, February 24, 2000

24 February 2000

You'll be pleased to know that there was no more calculus last night.

I did stay up late reading a book, though. Tonight we're helping K.T. and Kevin move, so we'll probably be up late again. (Here's to hoping that next time they move, Kevin will have a more normal schedule so they can move over a weekend.) So I anticipate wanting to sleep in on Saturday.


I finished the afghan yesterday that I've been working on for the past six months. Except I haven't really been working on it for six months, have I? I worked on it for about three weeks, then dropped it for a while, then picked it back up for a few days, then dropped it again. But I finally finished it yesterday. Hoorah!

Now I have to decide if I'm going to make another one, or make my new project working on the yard - it's nearly spring; time to buy some mulch and edging and grass seed and plants and start trying to make our front yard look less like a long-forgotten mudpit and more like an actual yard. And to decide if I want to actually try to make a garden patch on the side of the house this year, or wait until next year.

Anyone out there who actually has luck keeping plants alive, I'd be terribly grateful for advice...


The cat has been waking us up earlier and earlier in the morning. Pretty soon, if he keeps this up, he'll be waking us up very late at night instead of early in the morning, and we'll just give up and go back to putting him in the garage before we go to bed.

I wish to hell I could figure out what triggers his decision that it's time for us to get up. I used to think it was the pale glow of false dawn, but this week he's started his wake-up games before four, so that can't be it. For a while, I thought he was detecting when one of us was close to consciousness, but that doesn't seem to be it, either.

I've tried to train him to trigger with the sun rising or the alarms going off, but he isn't interested in such mundane signals.

My current guess is that he starts making a pest of himself as soon as orange air molecules outnumber blue ones by a factor of two to one.


On Tuesday, I went out to lunch and blew my diet, leaving Matt and I uneven at dinner. Yesterday, Matt had pizza for lunch and blew his diet, leaving us uneven at dinner.

Today, our lunches are almost exactly matched, so we'll be pretty even at dinner.

Naturally, this occurs when we're most likely to wind up having fast food for dinner and - you guessed it - blow our diets.


Oh, in case you're interested, I updated my dencity account the other day.

No comments: