Tuesday, February 29, 2000

29 February 2000

Well, I finished the project I was talking about the other day - the one I wasn't sure what programming language to use. I decided on PHP3, because I know that better than JavaScript or Perl, though that's not saying a lot. And what was this project, you ask? An online I Ching oracle! Go on, see for yourself! Let me know if you find any typos or have any problems.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to expand the section to include other forms of divination - Tarot cards, maybe. Any thoughts?


Wow. End of February. All last week, I kept thinking, "I should put together the graphics for the journal for March soon," and I kept putting myself off with, "Plenty of time!" Heh. Guess I should've listened to myself. Well, it'll give me something to do today.


We had a great time on the MeadeHall last night. First, the session itself was great - Braz is still pulling around his plot, and rather than starting to figure things out, I think we're getting farther and farther away from the truth. Jaret now thinks Marten is a doppleganger, or maybe a demon posessing Moon Dancer's body. Lisl and Zoya have figured out that he's on the run from someone - or something - and are trying to get him to help. (Zoya thinks that maybe taking care of whatever's chasing him might aid his memory.)

Marten was too busy to flirt with Zoya last night, so Lisl's teasing only served to confuse Zoya a bit. I'm not sure whether I'm relieved or disappointed. Zoya wasn't designed with romance in mind, but it would've been fun roleplaying through it, because... Well, because she wasn't designed with romance in mind. Damn, but I wish I knew whatever happened to her origin story. (I'm missing just about all of my RPG-based stories. It's irritating the crap out of me; some of them weren't too bad.)

Anyway, in addition to the Hall session itself, we were having fun playing with the computer's voices. Matt, Braz, and Jeff all have Macintosh computers, and they were playing with TTS, which is Mac's text-to-speech software. Matt had his set up so that whenever any of us said a line on the IRC channel where we meet, his computer would say it. Not only that, but he had different voices assigned to each of us. (If you've ever heard Stephen Hawking's synthesized voice, that's about what it was like.)

At first, Matt and Braz were typing in peculiar names of baseball players for the software to try to pronounce. Karen - who couldn't even hear the results - got into the act and started coming up with peculiar words for it to attempt. Somewhat astonishingly, it managed "supercalafragilisticexpialidocious" with very little problem.

After weird words, Matt mentioned that he was sortof tempted to type in some dirty words. So, being incurable punsters, we started slinging around pick-up lines and dirty talk on the Stephen Hawking theme. ("Put your comet in my black hole, baby!") This was so funny (and took us so long to exhaust all the punny possibilities) that we wound up staying up until 11:30. We might have stayed longer, except Matt's computer locked up on him, and we all spontaneously decided that it was time for bed.


One of the ladies in my office is having her birthday today. I had just been wondering the other day whether I knew anyone with a Leap-Day birthday. So, although she's turning 40, this is only her 10th birthday. Kindof cool, huh?

No comments: