Wednesday, April 19, 2000

19 April 2000

I've been waiting to tell you about Matt's other anniversary present for months. Now that he finally has it, I can finally talk about it.

A couple of months ago, Mike Behind The File Cabinet found this online. (Go look! Really!) I'm not sure where he found it, but all three of us in our office thought it was probably the most hysterically funny thing we'd ever seen. (Something about that tagline, "Zen without the wait" just killed us.) We all agreed to chip in and buy one for our office.

Bonsai PotatoIt was an instant hit. We've got a couple of potatoes growing in the filing cabinet, and Becky brought us an impressive specimin from her home. Everyone who comes into our office - even managers - stop to examine the potatoes. They open the filing cabinet to check on the growth of our two runner-ups. The little book that comes with the kit is hysterically funny.

Reading that little book, I knew - knew, mind you - that Matt would get a huge kick out of this. So I ordered a kit for him, as well, for our anniversary.

As the day neared, my certainty wavered - maybe it wasn't really hysterically funny. Maybe it was just dorky? But I had a CD from his wishlist, and I couldn't think of anything else to get him, really, except the one I idea I'd had for his Easter basket.

I needn't have worried. He thought it was a hoot and immediately raided the fridge for a potato of his own to start growing.


His present to me kicked the shit out of the bonsai potato kit, though.

He handed me the wrapped box with boyish glee. I shook it gently, listening to the rattling under the paper. It sounded like... Well, I didn't know. But I'm a geek and a programmer - maybe he bought me an Erector set. That would be cool!

Boy, was I wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Brimming over with wrongosity.

He'd got me a Palm V.

I first started drooling over it when I saw Braz's at MarsCon. I bid on one a couple of times on eBay, but always got outbid at the last minute. I'd been waffling over the price - I just bought my Zaurus last year, after all.

But the Palm was so cool! And I'd just about made up my mind to bite the bullet and buy the thing retail as soon as our anniversary and Easter were past.

Matt says he can tell I liked it because I didn't even pick up the wrapping paper from the floor before running upstairs to plug it all in. I love my husband, I really do.

And I don't have to feel guilty about the Zaurus, because K.T.'s broke a while back, so she's interested in buying mine as soon as I've got everything copied off of it.

Yeah, I know - a bonsai potato and a PDA don't sound like very exciting anniversary presents. But then, as I told Matt, I felt like a camera crew was going to show up at any moment with a narrator: "And here we see the mating rituals of the wild geek..."


I'd decided on dinner at the Outback, but when we got there, they had a 45-minute wait already. On a Tuesday! So we went to the Peddler instead. The Peddler was as crowded as I've ever seen it, actually. I wonder what's going on in town that there were so many people hitting the restaurants on a Tuesday evening.

Yesterday was "Free Cone Day" at Ben and Jerry's, too, but when we came out of the Peddler, the wind was picking up and it was too cold to really enjoy ice cream, so we went on home.

I wanted to play with my new toy, anyway.


Oh, by the way, I wanted to apologize for yesterday's entry being so short and hurried. While I was at the beginning of writing it, one of my managers came in and dumped a fingerprint scanner on my desk and said, in essense, "We have to make this work with our application in time for the trade show that's in two weeks. So to have it ready for testing, we've got to have it integrated by the end of this week. Oh, and by the way, I'm leaving for California tonight and won't be back until next week."

So I rushed through my journal entry so I could start working on integrating the scanner.

For once, it worked as advertised, and I'd actually left places in my code to integrate it (I'd known it was coming eventually, I just didn't know when) and so I had the whole thing done before 10. But I couldn't have known it would go that smoothly when I started.


Word of the Day: slapstick - comedy stressing farce and horseplay

Though humor is definitely one of the cornerstones of our relationship, Matt and I disagree on the value of slapstick comedy. While the occasional pratfall or seemingly accidental slip can make me chuckle, and the perfect timing of clowns at the circus leave me breathless, I only enjoy physical humor as an accent to more intellectual comedy. Entire shows based around slapstick leave me cold.

I've tried to appreciate it, but it just gets so boring after a while. Maybe it's a gender thing. (But I still like the bonsai potato.)

No comments: