Friday, April 21, 2000

21 April 2000

Ack! The end of the month is coming too fast! Tonight's schedule includes baking a pound-cake and dyeing Easter eggs, tomorrow is my game (for which I really need to hurry up and come up with an adventure) and Sunday is Easter! Next week I have a dentist appointment and at some point I really need to get my car to the shop for an inspection.

Ack!


Matt and I went shopping last night for Easter basket stuff. I felt sortof bad about telling Matt, "Okay, you have to go out tonight and buy things for me," but last year the holiday sortof snuck up on him and he wound out going out on Saturday night to pick up the stuff for my basket. Naturally, everything had been picked over by then, so I wound up with a six-pack of Reeses peanut-butter eggs, and a six-pack of Almond Joy eggs.

I like both candy bars, but I like an Easter basket with some variety. Matt felt really bad about it, too, especially since I'd gotten sortof overly enthusiastic about his basket and got him some fun, weird candy. So this year, I suggested that we go during the week, at the same time.

I managed to find enough stuff to fill Matt's basket at Target. The Easter candy was pretty well picked over already, but since Matt had told me he didn't want a lot of candy, that was all right. I found some non-traditional stuff to put in his basket, and some non-food things as well. I think he'll like it.

Since I'd gone all the way across town, and then stopped at the grocery store on my way back (to pick up fruit for Easter dessert and some eggs for dyeing) and Matt had said he planned to just go to the grocery store and the drug store for me, I was pretty sure I'd get back well after him. But no, his car wasn't in the driveway when I got home.

It turned out he'd gone into the colonial district, to stop at the candy store there. (Now I'm really looking forward to my basket!) And while he was there, he'd walked most of the way down the mile-long central street to see if some friends of ours who live out that way were home. They weren't, but the walk had stalled him long enough for me to get home and hide his goodies first.


Today is supposed to be the company's spring cookout. The theory is, several grills are brought in, and everyone brings their own hamburgers or hot dogs, and they grill them during lunch.

I hadn't been planning on participating. I don't keep hamburger patties or hot dogs in the house, and I certainly don't have buns for them. But Becky sent an e-mail to a few of us yesterday demanding that we attend, and the cookout organizers sent out an e-mail saying that there were extras for people who forgot and that we should all attend anyway.

So, what the heck? I figured I'd go, eat a spare hot dog, chat with Becky and Jim and folks, breathe a little fresh air, and then come back to my computer. I told Matt not to bother fixing me a lunch today.

Naturally, of course, it looks like rain, and I'm guessing the cookout will be postponed until next week. And me without a lunch. Ah, well, worse things have happened than me having to eat lunch out.


Word of the Day: hypnagogic - of or relating to the state of drowsiness just before sleep

Look! There's a word for it!

I was in just this state last night when Matt started saying, "Hello? Hello? Are you there?" I tried to tell him that I hadn't said anything and that I certainly hadn't gone anywhere, but I couldn't move. Then I woke up enough to realize that he was playing with the voice-chat features of the new version of Instant Messenger. I got up and shuffled into the computer room, and we spent several minutes speaking loudly into the microphone at Braz, giggling to hear our own voices repeated by his microphone a few seconds later.

No comments: