Thursday, April 20, 2000

20 April 2000

I admit it - I'm a geek. I spent most of yesterday playing with my new Palm Pilot (oops, excuse me; it's just a Palm now) and as a result I don't have much of anything to tell you about today.

You may all now heave a collective sigh of relief that I'm not going to tell you about the silly games I downloaded for it.


So now that I'm not sick anymore, I called my dentist yesterday to re-schedule the appointment I'd cancelled, and I'm going in for my regular cleaning next week. True to form, once they knew it was coming, my gums started to swell and feel sore.

Fifty weeks out of the year, my teeth and gums are just fine. But every six months, for the week before my cleaning, they suddenly degrade so my hygienist gets the impression I don't even own a toothbrush, much less use it on a regular basis.


This evening, Matt and I are going to go shopping for stuff for each others' Easter baskets. I'd been sweating over this for a while, because Matt told me he didn't really want a lot of candy in his basket, so after the obligatory fuzzy bunny and a little bit of candy, I didn't have the slightest idea what to get for him.

I think I've got that licked, now, but it occurred to me this morning that I have something else to sweat about:

The Easter baskets are in the guest bedroom closet. Behind four thousand six hundred and twenty-seven boxes of random Christmas crap. (That's just an approximation, of course. It might be much closer to five thousand boxes in actuality.)

At least, I think that's where they are.

Maybe I'll just buy Matt a new basket, while I'm at it...


And, while I'm out, I'll need to stop at the grocery store to pick up some last-minute ingredients for the dessert I'm making for Easter dinner. Namely, some fresh berries and some whipped cream. Though I'm still debating whether I want to go with Cool Whip, canned whipped cream, or get whipping cream and whip it myself.

And I realized the other day that while I was sick, Easter had crept a week nearer and I'd forgotten about dying eggs. Since Matt loathes eggs, we don't usually have them in the house unless I need them specifically for a recipe, so I look forward to making Easter eggs every year. It's fun, and I get several days' worth of devilled eggs out of the bargain.

So I guess as long as I'll be at the store anyway, I'll pick up some eggs and a cheap dye kit.


Word of the Day: burgeon - to flourish, bloom, or grow; to expand rapidly.

I'm sitting here, trying to think of someting that's flourishing or expanding in my life so I can use burgeon in a sentence, and suddenly it occurs to me that, just because it's the word of the day, it doesn't mean I have to use it. This isn't grade school.

The word of the day isn't an exercise in using words in a sentence. If all you wanted was to see the word in a sentence, then you could subscribe to the word of the day list yourself. If all I wanted was to use the word in a sentence, then I wouldn't be sitting here having writer's block about it.

The idea is to let the word lead me in a new direction; to use it as the starting point of a brainstorm that eventually leads to an anecdote or observation. I've been holding on to the word itself too tightly, I think. It's time to let go. I don't have to use the word, or even talk about it, to exercise my burgeoning writing skills.

(Had you there, for a minute, didn't I?)

No comments: