Friday, April 7, 2000

7 April 2000

Advil is my friend. The headache refuses to subside entirely, but at least with a few Advil in my system it's a quiet pounding in my forehead. When the Advil wear off, the pounding spreads to my temples and behind my eyes. Rapid change of position sends steel spikes in through my temples and eye-sockets. My neck is so stiff and sore I can only turn my head about sixty degrees in either direction, and even that's painful.

But there's no sniffling, no sore throat, no upset stomach... I wish I knew what the hell this was. If it isn't gone by Monday, I'll call the doctor.


Since I spent yesterday moving slowly and trying to avoid anything involving complex thought, there's not much to tell. I went home early, around 2:30, and spent several hours lying on the couch watching videos and eating Girl Scout cookies. After Matt got home, we had a brief discussion about whether I was allowed to skip dinner, but I didn't have enough energy to fight about it, so I ate. I went to bed around 8:30, waking up a little when Matt came to bed at 10:30, and waking up a lot with the shakes around 4:30 when the cat wanted to be put out. I took some more Advil (ambrosia, I swear!) and went back to bed until I blearily realized that the thing talking to me was my alarm clock at 6.

To make up the hour I missed yesterday, I'm supposed to work until 4:30 today. However, since the company foolishly asks us to turn in our timecards for the week no later than 9:30 AM on Fridays, no one is likely to notice if I slip out a little earlier than necessary. We'll see how things go.


Word of the Day: gadzookery - the use of archaic speech patterns

I admit, a little gadzookery is fun in its place. It's part of the charm of roleplaying to say "aye" instead of "yes" or to call each other "milord" and "milady." I once developed a crush on a guy I met at a sci-fi convention because he'd bowed over my hand and said, "Charmed," instead of nodding and saying, "Nice to meetcha."

But it has its place. In "real" life, that kind of talk would only make me nervous.

No comments: