Monday, April 3, 2000

3 April 2000

Happy April, everyone! I didn't participate in any April Fool's jokes, on either end. One of the journals I read posted that he was quitting, and even included something to the effect of, "I know it's suspicious that I'm doing this on April Fool's Day, but I really mean it!" My thought at the time was that I'd wait until the next day to see what happened, and sure enough, he posted again on Sunday.


I had a good weekend, if not a great one. The Globetrotters show Friday night was a lot of fun, even the weird racing-dogs halftime show.

Saturday Matt and I puttered around - ran errands, staked bits of our tree, goofed around on the computer. We went over to K.T.'s for the weekly game around 5, but we didn't really get any gaming done. It was Kevin's birthday, so we all had cake and ice cream, which got us all silly and hyper, and Kevin seemed more interested in playing with his toys, and Mike was still working on his character at 9. (Though to be fair we took about an hour and a half to go get dinner.)

It was fine with me. About half the reason I game is for the social interaction, and we were having a lot of fun. Matt had really been in the mood to game, though, and he was a little grumpy about it. When - for no apparent reason - his allergies kicked in, we all packed it in. We went home, changed the clocks, and went to bed.

Sunday was even slower. We did the laundry, watched some videos, read some books. I re-potted my herb garden, took a nap, and checked my mail obsessively, since I was hoping for an update on the Hall situation from Braz. It never did come, alas. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll have a slow day at work.


Why can't I have normal problems? For the past four or so days, I've been constantly burping. Well, not constantly, of course, but at least once every ten minutes or so. It doesn't seem to be affected by anything I'm eating or drinking or doing, and it's kindof annoying. Matt thinks it's kindof funny (he's been trying to teach me how to burb "like a boy") but he's not the one with the constant bubble in his throat. I hope it goes away soon. If anyone out there has any clue what might be causing it, for petesake, tell me!


Word of the Day: peripatetic - of or related to walking; itenerant

As much as I hate to say it, I can see myself becoming the sort of perpetual job-hunter that my father was when I was young. We never actually moved, but Dad had a new job every two or three years. He was never really satisfied with the place he was - always looking for something more.

Despite the corporate climate of today, which favors that sort of peripatetic lifestyle, I actually want to find a company that I think will do right by me - a company that I would be willing to stay with through retirement. My dad found that company in Logicon - he's almost fanatically loyal, now, and has been for over fifteen years.

I thought I'd found that company in 3GI. I enjoyed my work there, most of the time, and thought I was lucky to have found such a great job in such a great company, immediately out of college. And then, of course, 3GI laid me off.

Matt was telling me the other day that one of the managers over at 3GI was asking him if I'd ever consider coming back. Matt told him he didn't think so. And he's probably right - after all, 3GI certainly made it clear to me that it didn't especially value my skills. Why would I want to go back to work for them when it's been made obvious that I'm expendable and will be laid off again when they run into more trouble?

On the other hand...

That's the current corporate climate. I was only burned so bad because I'd been taken in (foolish child that I was) by the optimistic manager-bullshit. No other company is going to value my loyalty, either. And the thought of going back is tempting... I may re-evaluate my position when I've been here at Logicon for a while.

No comments: