Monday, April 24, 2000

24 April 2000

Pictures I Did Not Take This Weekend:

- The enormous crowds of tourists at every restaurant we tried to go to for dinner on Friday, resulting from the fact that every other school system in the country has their spring break the week before Easter, instead of the week after, like the local schools.

- The four chat windows that popped open on me less than fifteen seconds after I'd logged in to do some surfing and eat my dinner. I felt loved, and yet harried.

- Matt and I, tired and unenthusiastic, decorating our Easter eggs at 11:00 PM Friday night.

- The moderately gross egg Matt decorated to look like an eyeball. Or any of the other eggs, for that matter.

- My brother and his fiancée acting like Pip and Pop, the two pillbugs from A Bug's Life.

- K.T.'s moment of revelation at my game Saturday night when she figured out how to solve the first puzzle.

- My Easter basket.

- The little heart-shape Matt made out of Hershey's Kisses for me.

- The adorable chocolate bunny from my Easter basket with the long floppy ears and sun-bonnet.

- Matt's Easter basket.

- The extremely funny card I bought three months ago and gave to my parents.

- The extremely delicious Easter dinner my mom made.

- The very cute stuffed bunnies in very weird colors Mom gave us.

- The nine good raspberries left after Matt picked out all the moldy or rotting ones from the half-pint I'd bought.

- The dessert I made that turned out very well even though I decided to skip the raspberries.


Pictures I Did Take This Weekend But Am Not Going To Post Here:

- My brother and his fiancée holding hands and looking cute. I'm not posting it because I took the picture from across the room, and it turned out too dark.

- Diamond visciously attacking a purple plastic Easter egg. Actually, I took at least six of these, and I'm not posting any of them because, as usual, his black fur sucked up all the light, and you can't actually see what's going on in any of the pictures.

- The very amusing chocolate CD I put in Matt's Easter basket. I'm not posting it because, well, we've all seen chocolate molded into amusing shapes before.

The fact that I forgot and left the camera at home this morning has nothing to do with it.


Word of the Day: parable - A short, fictitious story that illustrates a moral or religious principle.

The year I was in the tenth grade, I stumbled across a book of poems while doing research for an English paper. Most of them were pretty boring, in my sophisticated fifteen-year-old opinion, but because math was my favorite subject, one of them struck me as hysterically funny. It was essentially a long series of math and geometry puns. I had the whole thing memorized for years, but now I can only remember a few lines.

Help!
I'm being eaten by a parabola.
He sees me as his arc enemy.
Radii, chords, and diameters are out to bisect me.
I try talking to him in his own language:
Parables.
No dice.
My chances of success are one in six,
Probably.

The whole thing is much longer. There definitely used to be a pi joke in it, but I can't remember what it was.

Damn, but I wish I'd thought to photocopy it, way back when. Now, I have neither title nor author to go on, only a vague memory of the book's title being something like, A Collection of Children's Poems - and how many of those are there out there? I'll never find it again. Alas.

No comments: