Thursday, June 1, 2000

1 June 2000

Happy June!

And the month is starting out very summer-y. When I got out of the shower, I had this persistent feeling like I couldn't get dry - with every step I took, all the moisture in the air was condensing onto my skin. Not a good kind of cooling moisture, but the kind of hot damp that makes your skin sticky and won't let your clothes settle properly.

And for all that, the actual temperature was a nice reasonable 70 or so. I hate Williamsburg in the summer. I get a real giggle out of people like my grandparents who complain about the humidity in San Antonio. They're even from this area. Humidity in San Antonio. Hah. The only place I've ever been that can beat Williamsburg humidity is Florida. I think it has something to do with the swamps.


Enough of that. Talking about it won't help.

Our bookcases arrived yesterday, hurrah! Matt put one of them together. We'd had a smallish bookshelf in the computer room on which we kept all of our comic book trade paperback collections. (For non-comics people, "trades" are collections of comics, usually between four and eight issues. They're easier to read than individual issues, and sometimes have bonus sections. Matt and I have been trying to convert as much of our comic collections as possible into trades.)

Anyway, the old bookshelf had been jammed completely full and had a three-foot stack of books on top of it. It had needed to be either replaced or supplemented for some time. I stayed downstairs while Matt built the new bookcase. He finished it shortly after dinner, and I went up for a look. The new case was six feet tall and almost twice as wide as the old one. It looked nice. We were missing one of the shelf-brackets in the kit, so Matt called the company and is hoping they'll get in touch with us soon to send us a new bracket. So until they do, there are only four shelves.

Matt's been itching to re-organize the books, so I sat at the computer and wrote for a while until he started bringing things in and putting them on shelves. Then I watched in fascination. He left a good 4 - 6 inches empty on each new shelf, so we wouldn't have to completely reorganize every time we bought a new book. The collection took up three shelves. I just stared at it in awe. It was a lot of comics. Most of which were bought after Matt and I started dating. That's a lot of comics to buy in four years.

There's still the second bookshelf to assemble - it's going into the guest bedroom. I'll use the bottom couple of shelves to store the stuff that's currently piled on top of my sewing machine. I don't know what we'll do with the other shelves. Bric-a-brac and space for our guests to pile their stuff, I suppose.

And there's the bookshelf that was just replaced. It's still a darn good bookshelf, and it fits perfectly in the upstairs hallway... But we haven't figured out what to put on it yet.

Obviously, we need to buy more books.


Word of the Day: metier - vocation, trade; area of expertise

The longer I work as a programmer, the longer I realize that while it's a perfectly adequate job, it's not really my metier. I don't have the drive, the need to program that my more enthusiastic colleagues have. The question is, what is my metier, and how do I break into that field now?

Not to mention, having publicly commented several times now that programming isn't my favorite activity in the universe, will I ever be able to get another programming job?

No comments: