Friday, June 23, 2000

23 June 2000

Well, Karen showed up a little before six yesterday evening, and Braz and Kris arrived around 10, and so no one reading this is surprised to discover that I didn't go to bed until after midnight. So I'm a little tired this morning, but reasonably happy.

Carrie and Kathy are going to be staying with us, too, apparently - they'll arrive late tonight with their sleeping bags, and then there will be seven - seven! - people in our little house. (At least, it will probably seem very little with seven of us crammed in there.)

The plan for today is, I'm going to leave work around 11:45 and head home to pick up Karen, Braz, and Kris. We'll meet Matt at one of the local delis for lunch, and then Matt will go back to work, Braz will go back to the house, and I will take Kris and Karen shopping. I need to stop at Target for a watergun or three, and at Sam's Club for hamburger and hotdog buns for the cookout tomorrow. And if we can't manage to waste the entire afternoon at those two places, then the mall is only down the street from Sam's Club a bit!

The evening's plans are a little more nebulous. Jeremy had expressed a desire to get together with us for dinner, but we're not sure where, yet. I gave that job to Matt, and told him he and Jeremy and Braz could work that out and let us girls know when we got back from shopping. (Ah, it's good to be able to hand off these decisions.) After that, we're not sure. We need to be sure to be back at the house no later than 10 to let Carrie and Kathy in. Hmm; a trip to Ben and Jerry's might round out the evening nicely...


Just as a side note, I have to say I think my chair at work is broken. Given how short I am, I like it set relatively high, to keep my arms at a decent position. Carpal tunnel syndrome is one of the few actual physical dangers of being a computer programmer, and it scares the heck out of me. Anyway, while I was typing that previous paragraph, I noticed my arms were at a weird angle, so I checked the height of the chair's armrests against my desk for comparison... Yep; it had dropped again.

I'd blame it on the cleaning staff, but they're not in on Thursday nights, and I didn't notice anything yesterday.


Anyway, tomorrow should be buckets of fun. The radio is predicting sunny weather with highs around 90 for the whole weekend, which makes it a little on the warm side but otherwise perfect weather for a cookout. And since we're all bringing our enormous water-guns to the cookout, I'm sure we'll figure out a way to cope with the heat. ;-)

I recharged my camera's battery yesterday, so I'm sure I'll be running around taking pictures like mad. Especially of faces. The only person so far to give me any negative feedback at all about the eyes page is K.T., who was complaining about her picture more than the concept itself. (To be fair, her picture does suck, and I want to take it over again in better light.) Everyone else has been very complimentary about the concept.

Don't worry, I'll take some regular pictures, too! And K.T. and Kevin recently bought an extension card for their digital camera, so it can now hold something obnoxious like five hundred pictures at once. So you picture hounds will get yours, never fear!

It should be a great weekend. Can't wait. I probably won't get an overabundance of sleep, though...


I just want to wonder right now why it is that I'm getting really lousy service in restaurants lately? Don Pablo's was disappointing last week, and the guy at T.G.I. Friday's wasn't all that good, and our waitress last night at Second St. was pretty crummy - she didn't bring our drinks until we were almost done with our appetizer, and almost forgot to take our orders for our entrees! Is it the season? It's summer, so all the summer-only staff is still being trained? Or maybe it's just me. Maybe I look like the kind of jolly fat woman who'll still tip well even if the service sucks. I'm starting to get annoyed!


Word of the Day: bamboozle - to deceive by underhanded methods; dupe; hoodwink

Now there's a word that should see more use! What a great word! It even sounds sortof shady, in a silly kind of way. It's got that sortof campy feel to it, like an overblown character in a not-altogether-serious 1940's gangster movie.

"Boss! Look behind you!"

"Now see here, Blue Bart, you've bamboozled me for the last time!"

"But, Boss, you've gotta believe me!"

Rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat!

"Nice shooting, Angel."

"YOU!"

"That's right, Angel, it's me. And this time I've caught you red-handed!"

No comments: