Friday, June 9, 2000

9 June 2000

Right. So, those of you who haven't joined the mailing list missed out last night. I know I don't post to the list often - maybe two or three times a month (not at all in May - I had someone join and then quit two weeks later, I assume because of the lack of traffic) but when I do, you know it's something you want! Usually it's a notify that I updated the page later in the day or on the weekend.

But last night, last night's post was special. Last night, I just had to tell someone about my experience with MTV's Movie Awards. (Don't you want to join the list now? Go ahead!) The thing that blew me away was Sara Jessica Parker (who I figured out after I wrote to the list plays the lead character on HBO's Sex and the City, which I should have known, darnit) coming out onstage to host the awards in a dress that was more sheer than the sexiest lingerie I've ever owned. Seriously.

And then she opened the evening by saying, "Good evening! My dress is see-through!" At that point, I couldn't stand it - I marched right back upstairs and wrote about it to the list. Of course, then I came back downstairs and watch half an hour or so of the show, and it was actually pretty good. It helped that they weren't taking themselves very seriously. And that SJP had changed into a new dress. Actually, according to Matt, in the time I'd been upstairs writing, she'd changed at least twice. Part of the show's schtick, apparently, was that she would change twelve times over the course of the two-hour show.

Matt told me this morning about a poofy camouflage dress that a "Marine" crawled out of. I went looking this morning for pictures, but MTV's website only had a few of the less-spectacular dresses posted.

It was funny. If I hadn't been so tired, I probably would've stuck around for the whole thing. Maybe next year.


So yesterday Becky and Steve dropped by the office to chat and to play with our toys. Unfortunately for me, both Mikes had stepped out, so I had to handle them by myself. (They're nice, but for some reason they turn into three-year-olds when they come into this office. Steve is worse than Becky in that he never actually shuts up.)

Anyway, Steve was trying to be clever at one point and he said, "I like it over here. There's a sense of life over here. In [his suite], we just have a sense of Oracle, and death."

I looked up at him calmly and said, "I think it's coffee you're sensing over here."

It was funny when I said it, all right?


Ah, Friday at last. Once I go home today, I'll be able to relax!

I think this is the last weekend for a month that we don't have some kind of plans for. (I mean, there's the game Saturday, but there's always the game Saturday. I don't count that. Counting the Saturday game as part of our "plans" is like saying, "Oh, and I'll take a couple of showers, too." No need to mention it unless another plan is interfering with it.)

But next weekend we're going with K.T. and Kevin to see the Cherry Poppin' Daddies in concert, and the weekend after that is the reunion party, and then we have a weekend off (okay, so this isn't the last weekend with nothing on the calendar), and then there's my brother's wedding, and the weekend after that we'll be traveling back from Chicago. Busy busy busy!


Word of the Day: wowser - (Australian) an obtrusively puritanical person

There was a time when my aunt - my father's brother's wife - was one of these. She would give my brother and me little "presents" like a little box of fortune-cookie-fortune-sized cards with biblical verses on them, and she would worry that I played D&D, and she would drive us all crazy with her social-political opinions.

I think the time I wanted to throttle her the most was one Christmas vacation, she struck up a conversation with me early one morning and somehow worked her way around to opining that she thought it was good that most Americans didn't approve of alternative homestyles. I had to ask her what she meant. It turned out that she meant homosexuals. I had to put down my breakfast and walk away. At that time, I had several very close friends who were gay, and several more who were bi-sexual, and I knew - knew the way you know the sun will come up in the morning - that if I tried to argue this with her, neither of us would change our opinions, and it would only upset both of us. (The gods only know how she'd feel now to find out that I believe not only that homosexual marriage should be legal, but group marriages as well. I'm sure I don't even want to go there with her. Anyone else who would like to calmly and rationally discuss the topic is welcome to do so.)

I don't know if she "got it" then, or if she became too busy with her own children and life then to keep it up, but since then, she doesn't try to talk to me about religion, politics, or social views. We talk about the fascinating sights and customs of the places they live, and we talk about my cousins' plans for the future, and we talk about how nice it is to get the family together.

No comments: