Monday, June 12, 2000

12 June 2000

So Matt and I were driving around this weekend, doing normal weekend things, and we pulled up at a light behind this large pickup truck with a couple of bumper stickers. The sticker on the right read, "I work for a Jewish carpenter" and just as I registered that, Matt hmphed and muttered, "And a 'peeing Calvin' sticker."

Sure enough, the sticker on the left was one of those obnoxious things. The object of Calvin's scorn in this case was PETA. I blinked.

An anti-PETA sticker on one hand, and a pro-Christianity sticker on the other. I suggested to Matt that perhaps this fellow was a member of Christians for Cruelty to Animals.


The book I'm listing as reading today I actually finished last night, but since I read pretty much the whole book over the weekend, and I haven't picked up anything new to read yet, I thought it deserved some web time.

I liked it, but it was a little frustrating. It seems to be a common thing to do lately - to assiduously avoid anything like a "happy ending" without necessarily ending things badly, either. Come on, people! There's enough uncertainty about the future in real life! I want to know that the woman and man that spent the whole book chasing each other - in what I might add was a beautiful dance of courtship - do get back together again! Really! It wouldn't spoil the book for me to learn that!

Some of the symbolism was a little heavy-handed toward the end, too. But all in all, I really enjoyed the book. It was a mix of stone age archaeology, modern anthropology, and romance. Two of those are favorite hobbies of mine, and the third is something I find fascinating, so all in all, a good find for me.


So... I got my hair cut this weekend.

Liz's new haircutI've always been sortof tetchy about my hair. When other people get their hair cut, I'm usually fine with it, even if it was a disaster - it'll grow out, after all, and it usually doesn't look that bad. But my hair? No way!

The summer before I started the sixth grade, I had my waist-length hair cut. All the way down to a layered pageboy. I was okay with it for the sixth grade, but then I decided I was tired of it. I missed my long hair. So I started growing it back out.

What a disaster. Just in case you've never had to do it yourself - growing out layered hair is a pain, and it looks completely awful until it's done. I got a perm to try to cover the awfulness, but the perm just made it look fluffy and awful. It wasn't until the eleventh grade that my hair looked halfway decent again. I swore I'd never cut it shorter than shoulder-length again.

But somehow, that translated in the back of my mind to swearing that I'd never cut it again. So for the past ten years or so I haven't done more than get it trimmed. Last summer I wanted a change and - hold onto your hats - got bangs. But I have this awful cowlick right in front, so the bangs all got combed over to the side anyway, and I started growing them out again.

But Saturday morning, after weeks of toying with the idea, I called a salon and made an appointment, and had it cut to shoulder length. I kindof like it, and it feels right for me, actually - I'm not continually missing the long stuff except in the shower when I try to wash it. It's a little limp over on my left, where the sheer volume of hair pulls it down, and I'm thinking in a few months, once I'm used to it, I might possibly try a perm again. We'll see. One step at a time!


Word of the Day: carouse - to take part in a drunken revel; to engage in dissolute behavior

So, tomorrow after work Matt and I will be driving up to Washington - well, near Washington, anyway. We'll meet Braz and Kris at a hotel, probably stay up too late talking, and then Wednesday we'll get up entirely too early considering how late we'd been up and go into D.C. proper for a day of sightseeing and an evening of comedy.

Matt and I decided to reserve our hotel room for just Tuesday night on the theory that if we're too tired Wednesday night to drive home, we can probably check back into the hotel then. One way or another, we're taking at least half of Thursday off to recover. So I certainly won't write on Wednesday, and you probably won't hear from me until late, if at all, on Thursday. But I'm taking my camera, so whenever I get back, hopefully I'll have pictures of the carousing!

No comments: