Friday, December 19, 2008

Fevered Anticipation

Alex was fine when he got home last night.

About fifteen minutes later, I was playing with him, and I noted it was a little weird for him to actually lay back in my arms for so long.

Five minutes after that, I wondered if he might not be getting a little... warm. And he was getting fussy and clingy.

Five minutes after that, I was positive he was feeling hot, and Matt confirmed it. We gave him a snort of Tylenol.

Fifteen minutes later, he had perked up a bit and was playing happily with Matt. He continued the evening in excellent spirits, and ate with great enthusiasm at dinner. (Seriously. He ate half my grapes. Exactly, because I was biting them in half, eating the half I bit off, and giving him the other half. Every. Single. One.)

I tiptoed into his room before I went to bed, but the little stinker was squashed up against the wall, almost too far for me to reach over the crib rails. I touched the back of his neck, and it seemed warm-ish, but I couldn't tell if it was "fever" warm, or "sleeping baby" warm.

This morning, he was in a good mood. The top of his head and his temples were a bit warm, but his cheeks were cool. I frowned and muttered about the implications until Matt reminded me that we do actually have a thermometer for him.

Oh. Yeah.

The thermometer said he was running at about 99 (after adjustment). So a tiny smidge warm, but not enough to actually be concerned about. Especially since he was in such a good mood. If he'd been clingy and tired, I might've been more inclined to think he was feeling sick. But he wasn't. He let me put him down while I fixed his breakfast, tolerated me walking away from the table while he was still eating, and crawled all over the living room after he was done.

So we gave him a snort of Tylenol (just to be on the safe side) and sent him to school. And I'm kind of hovering by the phone, half-expecting a call.

Just in time for holiday travel.




Penny had a low last night. A pretty bad one; when I checked her at 10:15, her blood sugar was at 47. So I called for Matt to bring up some juice, and woke her up to drink it.

Matt brought the juice in the bottle, and Penny sucked on it so hard that she sucked her upper lip into the bottle and bruised it. It was still there this morning, dark pink and speckled with tiny blood blisters.

From across the room, it looks like she has a tiny little Adolf mustache, and it quite at odds with her adorable little black-and-white outfit and shiny new black patent leather shoes.

Just in time for holiday pictures.

No comments: