Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Picta Picta

Well, I did promise (or, depending on your view, threaten) pictures, once I figured out how to get them off Braz's camera. (Simple USB transfer with iPhoto, as it turns out. Good thing I have a spare USB cable hanging around.)

I'm having fun the camera. Of course, I'm completely obsessed with perfecting this shot of our Christmas lights. I'm not sure why, but what the heck, right? I read somewhere that one of the best ways to improve one's photography skills was to choose one thing that you love and take as many pictures of it as possible, in as many different ways as you can. I guess that's sort of what I'm doing here...





Of course, lights aren't the only things I've been taking pictures of.





Lesson Learned #1: The light in our living room, especially in the evenings, is very, very yellow. That shot of Alex has actually been doctored to bring it closer to true, believe it or not. The picture of Penny was taken with natural daylight, and is much better.

Lesson Learned #2: As much as I've yearned for true manual focus over the last ten years or so of owning digital cameras... Turn the freaking autofocus back on (or even switch it over to full automatic mode) when I'm taking pictures of the kids. They move way too much to be fidgeting with the dials and buttons every time I want to snap a shot of them doing something cute. I've had to delete about thirty pictures that I thought were priceless and adorable because, once I got them downloaded, I realized they were badly out of focus.

I'll keep playing. The moon cookie party is this weekend, and that should make for some fun photography.

Tonight is book club. (I sat down last night to decide what I was going to do with my evening, and realized that -- hey -- maybe I should read the book. Luckily, it's a short, 2-act play, and it only took me about an hour to read.) I'm looking forward to it immensely; we're doing our annual Christmas exchange. Should I bring the camera along for that? I might. Some of the tussles over particularly coveted books can be funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That picture of Penny is gorgeous. She is so beautiful :)