Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sign Me Up!

For what are probably obvious reasons, I've gotten on the local JDRF chapter's mailing list. I'm still rather waffling about whether to do the walk again this fall -- there's not a lot of enthusiasm in the house for either the fundraising or the walking portions of it.

But they're holding another fundraiser this weekend, selling hot dogs and cookies and root beer floats outside the Fresh Markets (in Williamsburg and on the Southside!) and they emailed my yesterday to see if I would volunteer to take a shift. They're only two-hour shifts, so I signed up for one on Saturday afternoon. I'm actually quite looking forward to it. I might take Penny with me, if she wants to go, and when my shift is done, I'm right there at the Fresh Market and can pick up the stuff I need for the tacos we're having for dinner that night. Good planning, me!

Anyway, if you're local to Williamsburg, come on by the Fresh Market between 1 and 3 on Saturday, have a float or a 'dog, and say hi!

I'm sort of hoping the chapter organizer will be there. I'd love to talk to her about not just organizing fundraisers, but also support activities, on our side of the Peninsula. A play-date at Newport News Park for families with diabetic kids. A database of potential babysitters who are trained in the nuances of diabetic care. That kind of thing. The chapter has some of this stuff on the Southside (which is a denser citypack, and also where the children's hospital is) but it's almost impossible to get to from -- say -- Williamsburg.

I'm also thinking of signing up for their mentoring program, or at least finding out what's involved in being a mentor. The first couple of weeks were a nightmare, and I would have loved to have been able to just talk to someone else who'd been through it, who could talk me through some of the panic and answer some of my zillions of questions and show me that life would ever attain some semblance of normality. And I think being able to help someone else who's struggling with that adjustment might feel more "worthy", to me, than simply raising money.

Just a few thoughts for my morning.

No comments: