Monday, May 23, 2011

I should post something, but my brain is completely nonfunctional this morning. Guess I'll just go for the dry weekend report...

Braz and Adin and crew (henceforth referred to as "the Hegemony" for reasons that would make no sense and be really boring if I tried to explain it) came over Friday night; we put all the kids to bed and stayed up late drinking and playing silly games. We did a couple of rounds of Guillotine, which was giggly fun, though I think what it really needs is for players to deliver a Last Words speech for each noble they collect or action card they play.

Then, since I'd spent an hour printing and cutting out the cards, we played a few rounds of Cards Against Humanity, which is like Apples to Apples, but offensive, NSFW, and politically incorrect. Needless to say, it was a big hit for us. (It especially worked for me, because while you gather points in the game, it's not particularly competitive.)

Saturday was mostly quiet. Matt took Penny to Ray's birthday party that evening, and while they were gone, Alex's cough devolved into a full-blown illness, complete with a 103-degree fever. He spent most of the evening laying on the couch with his head on my lap and watching videos. I let the fever burn while he was up, but gave him a dose of children's Motrin before bed, on the theory that helping him get comfortable enough to sleep was more important than continuing to let the fever burn out the germs.

In the meanwhile, Matt and Penny had eaten dinner at Ray's party (mm, pizza and cake!) and Alex didn't have much appetite, so I ordered sushi delivery. (The restaurant has a name, but I have no idea what it is, because thanks to Adin, we all just call it "Forbidden Sushi.") I ate my salad and was retrieving my miso soup from the bag when I realized the bag held no sushi. By that point, it was late and I was tired and I was debating even bothering to call them back to complain about it, but before I made up my mind, the guy came back with the sushi. Yay, Forbidden Sushi guy!

Alex was mostly better Sunday morning but still running a low-grade fever, but since it didn't get any worse, the Hegemony came over that afternoon to borrow our washer and dryer and stuck around to have homemade fajitas with us for dinner. Yum!

Alex was all better this morning, so yay for a quick-burn bug, I guess, and not having to miss school. (Though what with the whole needing to take time off thing, it wouldn't have really been a problem for me -- I just wouldn't be getting to do as much fun stuff.) Of course, Penny's blood sugar, after being low or borderline low all yesterday, popped up 100 points overnight, so we're half-braced for her to get hit with whatever Alex had over the weekend.

So, that was my weekend. 'Scuse me now while I go get some coffee.

No comments: