Thursday, October 14, 1999

14 October 1999

I am the Queen of Multitasking! At this exact moment, I am testing an application, reading e-mail, downloading a digital ID, talking to KT on AIM, and, of course, writing this entry. I'm so amazing!


I had a bad afternoon. The company's latest reorganization was announced, and I didn't bother attending the announcement because I already knew what my "new" place was going to be. (Really, my job hasn't changed. They just changed who I report to. Big whup.)

But Matt AIM'ed me in the afternoon and mentioned that, of all the people in my new group, I was the only one listed as a "Programmer" rather than a "Senior Programmer"

Now, I've been with this company for three and a half years, and even the guy who started as an intern and has only been with us for one year was listed as a "Senior" so this made me a little irritable. It doesn't help that for the past six months, I've felt like the loser's prize programmer - the one no one really wants on their team, but who has to be put up with. It's not a pleasant suspicion to have.

Anyway, the thought that the title was an indication of my progress in the company (that is, I'm going nowhere) got me very upset. I couldn't sit still, and my hands were shaking like leaves. Heavy adreniline rush.

I managed to ask my supervisor about it, and he said he thought the titles came off of peoples' business cards - and since I haven't had new business cards since I had my name changed a year and a half ago...

I'm still not very happy with it, but I suspect it's the best I'll get. I'll wait and see how this new project goes, and complain again come my review in five months.

And maybe in the meantime I'll start scanning the Technical want ads on Sunday, just to see what kind of openings are out there...


4:00 pm: I was sitting at my desk at 11:55, looking at my lunch and feeling hungry and thinking about calling Matt, and my phone rang. Expecting it to be Matt (we eat lunch together, and it's a toss-up who will call first) I picked up. Our receptionist, Cheryl, gave me a very cheery, "Hello, Liz!"

"Oh! Hi, Cheryl! What can I do for you?" (I like Cheryl. She's a fantastic receptionist.)

"You have guests, Miss Liz."

Guests? I think. What is she talking about? Is Matt being a goof? "I'll be right over, then."

When I arrive in the lobby, my brain takes a few startled seconds to process the information it receives. Seated in the lobby chairs are my friend Jen, who lives four hours away, and her stepmother Kris, who lives an hour away in Richmond! They explain that they had been in the area and decided to drop by and see if we wanted to go with them to lunch. I asked Cheryl to call Matt for me, and that's what we did!

We went to Padow's Deli, which makes lovely sandwiches, and they explained their presence: Jen had come to Richmond to visit her father and Kris, and Kris had decided to come down to Williamsburg to go shopping. Since the shopping where Jen lives is - well, not nonexistant, but pretty pathetic - she agreed to come along. They stopped at the Candle Factory, which is literally next door to our office, and when they were done, Jen had turned the wrong way out of the Candle Factory's parking lot and wound up in ours. At that point, Kris said, "This is where Liz works - let's drop in and say hi." (Kris had come to my office before, to get my measurements for the bridesmaid's dress I wore in Jen's wedding.)

Anyway, it made for a long but lovely lunch, though I'm sure Matt and Kris were a bit disturbed by Jen and I rambling on about people we knew (whimper) fourteen years ago...


Okay, I'm sorry I didn't get this up even close to on time today! I started writing it in the morning, but was kept busy all day. Starting Monday I should be back at my desk and posting in the morning. Really. Hopefully.

A question for my loyal readers: You know the sample sentence that appears in the box on the main journal entry page? Would it be cool or awful if I put a similar sentence in the status bar in the journal archives? The archives page is too big for a box, but I thought it would be nice to have some indication of what an entry was going to be about... I like being able to see precise paths when I point to a link, and it usually annoys me when people but cute crap in the status bar - but on an archives page, I don't think it would be as annoying. Or would it? If you have an opinion one way or another, let me know!

No comments: