Friday, October 1, 1999

1 October 1999

Well, Happy October, and welcome to the new layout! I got sick and tired of seeing my journal entries pop up in different sizes and layouts depending on the browser I was using, so I'm using some stylesheets to try to normalize a bit. If you have any weird problems reading, by all means let me know.




Why am I so sleepy lately? I could barely drag myself out of bed this morning, despite feeling guilty about leaving the cat shut in the garage all night.

And after I'd let the cat in and fed him and made lunches for Matt and I, all I wanted to do was go back upstairs and crawl back under the covers.

Damn. I just remembered I forgot to start the dishwasher before we left.

Gonna be one of those days, I suppose. Good thing it's Friday.




I actually got to feel moderately useful in testing yesterday. Someone else was babysitting the creep, and the test module I'd been given for once didn't skip steps, and for once I wasn't told to depart from the path of the test module. So in about an hour and a half I whipped through most of it, leaving about three items for me to finish this morning. I found a couple of things that could be considered bugs, and felt productive.

Of course, I'd spent two hours after lunch hiding in my office and hoping they wouldn't come looking for me, so maybe they cancel out.



I'm trying to decide what to do for my Hallowe'en costume. I was thinking about being a caterpillar - buy some cheap work glove, stuff them with something and sew them to a green or purple sweatsuit, and wear a bug-antennae headband. (I stole it from a Better Homes and Gardens magazine. What's it to you?) Matt was even suggesting refinements like running a string from my real arm to the fake hands so they'd move a bit. In KMart yesterday, though, they had these foam costume jobbies - pumpkins and M&Ms, that were about $30. That would be much easier - buy some leggings to either match or fade into the background and use a little facepaint and hairspray color, and you're done - but then I'd be stuck with the costume. Would I ever wear it again? I think I'd get tired of wearing the same costume every year, but I suppose it could go into storage for rotation...

In previous years, we've done puns: Wear all black, and greasepaint one or both eyes black, and pin a construction-paper "P" to your chest - you're a black-eyed pea! Or make a couple of huge posterboard dice and wear them around your neck - paradise! (Better yet, wear the dice and carry around a crumpled-up map - Paradise Lost!) Cow slippers and a pig nose (preferably with white or pink clothes) - mu shu pork!

Or else I put on a colorful skirt and a frilly shirt and wear every piece of jewelery I own and go as a gypsy. How tedious and uninspired is that?

Anyone else out there want to share their ideas?

No comments: