Monday, October 4, 1999

4 October 1999

Well, that was a nice weekend. Last night we went over to my parents' for dinner, and I got to talk with my brother and we had corned beef and cabbage. Corned beef I can take or leave, and I know this is a little weird, but I adore boiled cabbage and potatoes. I ate three potatoes and almost a quarter of a cabbage and a few carrots and slices of corned beef. Yum!

Saturday we were over at K.T.'s for the Werewolf game, which was pretty fun. We were all sortof zoned and tired, though, so we didn't get very far. But K.T. had had a talk with Joel Friday night about the fact that we all pick on him. She explained that we all pick on each other - if we weren't willing to include him in our group, then we wouldn't talk to him at all - and that each insult has more to do with the speaker's cleverness than the recipient's faults. As a result of this (I assume) his attitude had improved dramatically at Saturday's game. He actually managed to fire off a few return insults, laughed when we were picking on Kevin, and didn't get all quiet and sulky toward the end of the night. It's not a perfect fit yet, but Matt and I decided on the way home that there was hope for the boy.

But Friday was just great! Matt took me out to dinner at the new hibachi place in town (Sakura's, the place we usually go, had been replaced by this annoyingly trendy-looking little "Bistro and Martini and Wine Bar"). Kyoto's was pretty nice, though not as good as Sakura's had been - instead of miso soup, they gave us a bland chicken and beef broth, half of the vegetables that I adore were replaced by nasty bean sprouts, and the chef didn't ask until my meat was already overcooked how I wanted it. But we saw a new trick, making a volcano out of a slice of onion, so that was good.

After dinner, we went over to Merchants Square, which is a little shopping district right next to Colonial Williamsburg. Matt wanted to pick up a flyer from the movie theater there and see if anything good was coming. They turned out to have cancelled the flyers, because they never knew anymore what was going to be on the screen more than a week or so in advance. We sighed and walked over to the candy store to cheer ourselves up.

While looking at the novelty candy and picking out a small selection of mixed candy, we ran into Robin, who is a good acquaintance of mine from way back - I run into him about once a year or so like that - and we chatted for a bit. Finally, Matt and I bought our candy and decided to stroll down DoG street. (DoG stands for Duke of Gloucester, but locals and students never actually say anything but "DoG" street. It's a sure way to tell if someone's a tourist.) Our friend Colleen (who I really ought to add back to my Who's Who page now that we're seeing her more often again) lives just off DoG street, so we thought we'd see if we could find her house and drop in for a visit.

DoG street is precisely one mile long, and it was a beautiful night. We found Colleen's house, but no one was home, so we turned around and headed back to the car. When we got home, we had three messages on our answering machine, which was astonishing - it's pretty unusual for us to get three calls a day, much less in one evening! The first was from our friend T, who is trying to organize a bowling party. We'll need to call him back. The second was a dud - our answering machine records about ten seconds of dead air if someone hangs up on it. The third was from Richard, who sounded a little out of it.

The timestamp on Richard's message was only about five minutes before we'd gotten home, so I called him back. He was depressed - there was no money to pay the rent with, so he was going to have to sell his stereo, and he was looking for a phone number to get in touch with Sara so he could be pathetic at her. (His words, not mine!)

Well, I hate it when my friends are depressed, so I made him stay on the line with me and chat, and I tried to cheer him up, and I think it was working a bit. I was trying to think of a way to make him borrow the money from me when Carl came home (Richard and Carl are housemates) and Colleen was with Carl, and she solved the problem by insisting that Richard sell his stereo to her. Now why didn't I think of that?

The phone got passed around for about twenty minutes or so when I decided I was really in the mood for human company, so I got directions from Richard, hung up, and dragged Matt down to Hampton. We wound up sitting at their place until almost three in the morning. Sara came in after a while, giving us three couples (Colleen and Carl are dating, which sortof suprised me, but then after I thought about it a bit, didn't) but Richard and Colleen are such flirts that we didn't spend the whole night coupled up, if you know what I mean. Sara told us she'd come from K.T.'s, where K.T. had been panicking about money as well, and I assumed that since Sara had left, then K.T. had either gone to bed or wanted to be home alone, so I didn't suggest calling her to come over.

I like hanging out with Richard and Carl. There was a time, six or seven years ago I guess, when both of them were actively trying to get me to dump P. As Richard said, "We just wanted you to go out with someone else! We each wanted it to be ourselves, but the important thing was to get you away from P!" Anyway, it took me a while to figure out what they were doing - I was sortof clueless back then - but once I had it figured out, it was kindof fun. Any time we get together now, they're almost certain to bring it up, especially since they still run into P occasionally and he's just gotten too pretentious for words in the last few years. And it's kindof nice when they bring it up - it's nice for my ego to remember when I was that desireable.

(This is why I still enjoy flirting with Richard. I'm deeply and irrevocably in love with Matt. I know it, Matt knows it, and Richard knows it. But he's such an incorrigible flirt anyway that it's fun, and it's good for my ego.)

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and I wished to god at least ten times that I'd thought to bring my camera with me. Ah, well, I'll have to leave you with a single quote:

"You haven't lived until you've danced with the Squirrel!"

No comments: