Thursday, November 11, 1999

11 November 1999

Okay, this is going to just make you ill, and I apologize, but I might be moving this site again.

Again??!? you cry, shaking your fist at the monitor, but I just finished finding and changing all my damn links!

Sorry.

What happened was, I posted to the Diary-L mailing list my new URL, and someone else posted, asking why on earth anyone would voluntarily move to using Xoom's awful ad-frame. I posted again, explaining that yeah, I was having some trouble with the ad frame, but I found it less intrusive than pop-up ads, and that I needed a great deal of space for my photo album, and if anyone would like to suggest a better site, to by all means feel free to tell me about it, especially if they knew of one with PHP support!

Well. This person forwarded my posting to a friend who runs a server. Almost, in fact, the exact same server setup that I'd gotten accustomed to at 3GI - RedHat Linux with Apache webserver, and SQL and PHP support. He rather apologetically explained that as busy as he is, I'd be more or less on my own with setting things up, and that I'd need an SSH client in order to connect to a shell account.

I laughed. Almost exactly the same setup as I had at 3GI.

The one caveat is that he said he wasn't sure whether he'd charge, or how much - all the accounts he's set up previously were for good friends, so he did it for free. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee, so now he's trying to figure out how much to charge, and we'll negotiate from there. I suspect it'll depend on whether I'm moving the whole kit and caboodle over to his server - in which case I need rather a lot of space, or if I'm leaving the photo album's images on Xoom and just linking to them - in which case I need much less space, and my space requirements won't grow nearly so fast.

Nothing's been decided, yet, but I'll have the luxury to make this transition much more smoothly than the last, so I hope my faithful readers won't be as inconvenienced.


Yesterday was fairly uneventful - I read, I watched A Bug's Life, I read some more. We had an impromptu MeadeHall session to try to wrap up the plotline that Jeff has been running that lasted until midnight.

Uneventful can be good, though I might not have minded just one or two tiny events - like getting called for a job interview. Oh, well. Dad says his company is still planning on calling me - he sounded sortof annoyed when I told them they hadn't called yet, in fact.

Today will have some events. I need to do the laundry, the exterminator is due for his monthly preventative spraying, I'm making meatloaf (or possibly stuffed green peppers, since I have a pepper I should use before it goes bad) for dinner and an extra batch to freeze. Okay, so they're not exciting events. If you know anyone who wants to hire a web designer (I can do HTML, CSS, Java, JavaScript, PHP, and am trying to learn Perl!) and can get them to call me, I promise I'll be excited.

Time to go get the laundry started.

No comments: