Tuesday, November 30, 1999

30 November 1999

Okay, sorry I'm so late posting this, but I had an interview this morning with Hampton University, and by the time I'd gotten up, showered, and dressed, there was no way I was going to be able to write a journal entry before I had to leave.

I was mostly going through the motions by going to this interview. The position is that of Webmaster, and I'm vastly underqualified - I have no experience with running a website from the server point of view, nor experience with many of the things they want to employ, like databases or e-commerce. (They're really keen on e-commerce.) I'm confidant that I could learn these things, mind you, but you don't hire a Webmaster who isn't master of anything!

I went to the interview sortof hoping that they'd need to hire an assistant to the Webmaster to do coding, and I could add some professional experience to my resume while learning the things I'd need to know to become an actual Webmaster. I don't expect to get the job.

But damn. This is the first job interview I've been on - ever - where the job itself excited me.

I mean, I'm a very fast learner, and a competant programmer, and reasonably good at system design, and I can do it and get paid for it and not hate it. But I've never encountered a job before that I might actually enjoy. We spent a good half hour during the interview talking about possible designs and how to segment the site so that parts of it can be added a little at a time without the whole site ever really feeling empty. We talked about the importance of a theme, and ideas for bringing alumni into the site. I actually started sketching out a preliminary design for them.

It felt wonderful. I loved it. I want this job, and I want it badly. Forget the stuff I don't know. I'll farm it out if I can, learn it if I have to. I was having a ball in this interview, working with these three guys trying to take what they were saying and designing the site's layout. It occurred to me on the drive back home that if I had a job I loved this much, the 45-minute commute wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

The one guy seemed impressed with my design skills. But I'm not going to get the job, because I have no professional experience, and no e-commerce background, and "e-commerce" was the buzzword of the day. Damn. And double-damn.

Oh, well. Them's the breaks. Maybe once I land a pay-the-bills job, I'll look into getting a business license and free-lance my services for web design for fun. Because this is what I love.

No comments: