Tuesday, November 16, 1999

16 November 1999

In case you hadn't noticed, this journal has been moved to the new server. I'll leave the main journal page on Xoom for a while, with a forwarding link, but you should go ahead and change your links. I promise I won't be moving again for a good long while.


Matt, K.T., and I had a brief conversation about the Diary-L mailing list on Saturday. Matt had joined the list for one day, and unsubbed quickly. K.T. is a fairly active participant, and I've been known to add my voice from time to time. Matt told us he'd unsubscribed because the vast majority of the Diary-L participants struck him as "verbally diahhretic, drunk, egotistical kindergartners."

Matt has just a flair for words.


My dad called me this morning to give me some advice for my upcoming interview. Among other advice, he mentioned that UberGeek who would certainly be one of my interviewers is impressed by people who have enough interest and/or initiative to do computer projects on their own time - not necessarily taking work home, but personal projects. It signals to him that these people are in the industry because they actually enjoy doing it, rather than just to make a buck. And apparently one thing that particularly impresses him lately is Web design. Dad thought I might try to be ready to give him a URL to look at. (Though Dad, not being very Web-savvy, didn't call it a URL. But that's OK.)

I think that since my photo album is my most impressive section - both programmatically and from a sense of design - I think I'll use that. After I strip out any links that refer it back to my main page or this journal.


If Syscon wants to hire me, they won't be able to push the paperwork and stuff through for at least a couple of weeks. Probably more like three, since Thanksgiving's right in the middle of that. If I can't start working until the first full week of December (they pay on a bi-weekly schedule, so they like to start people on Mondays) then I may take the week of 29 Nov - 3 Dec and go on a road trip and visit some people. Of course, that depends on 1) getting the job at Syscon, and 2) not starting there until December 6th. We'll see, I guess.


I got my hair cut yesterday. It's a new style, but not so different that I think anyone would notice if I didn't mention it. About three inches of split ends got chopped off the end of my hair, and then I had the stuff framing my face angled. Nothing drastic - I can still pull everything but the bangs back into a ponytail. I don't go in for drastic hair changes.

I bought a bottle of hair color a couple of weeks ago - it shouldn't do more than give me some reddish highlights, and it'll only last a week or so - but I still haven't worked up the nerve to use it. Maybe if I get the Syscon job.

What's funny is, it doesn't bother me when other people play with their hair. Color it, cut it, shave it - sure, go ahead, it'll grow out again! I always look at people who can dare to play with their hair with a slight sense of envy. I wish I could do that, but my sense of identity is pretty well bound up with my hair. "Liz? She's about so tall, a little heavy, and has long, straight, medium-brown hair."

I changed schools just before I went into the sixth grade, and as part of the new me, I changed my name (I'd been Carol until then) and cut my hair into a short pageboy cut. I didn't hate it, but it was still traumatic. It was cute, but it wasn't me. When we moved the next summer, before I started junior high school, I decided to start growing it out again. It took me until the end of high school to get it back to where I was happy with it, and I haven't changed it since. I have the split ends cut off about once every six months, but I haven't changed where I part it or how I style it since. (Well, okay, I've played with the sorts of styles you can undo in fifteen minutes with some water and a comb, and had one fairly awful perm, but that's about it.)

I just can't imagine looking any different, while at the same time, I really want to.

I'm such a freak.

No comments: