Wednesday, November 17, 1999

17 November 1999

Two interviews today. Yesterday morning while I was finishing up writing some notes, the phone rang, I tripped over myself several times, and finally just gave up and listened to the recording - another interview! I called back almost immediately (as soon as I actually found the phone) and scheduled for this morning at nine.

Of course, being dressed up for interviews all day sortof changed what I was going to wear. In fact, I've changed my planned outfit at least four times. I'm so excitable. Oh, well, wish me luck, everyone!


And I went and did some shopping yesterday, and when I came back, there was yet another message on the answering machine asking for an interview. I tried to call them back, but they'd left the office already, so I'll have to call them back between interviews today, or Thursday morning.

I'm beginning to feel like I might actually have a chance...


So Matt left yesterday at 5:30 to go to basketball practice. At 5:35, the lights flickered a few times, and then died. I looked out the front window: none of the people on our street have power, and the only light I can see beyond our street is the one house we discovered after the hurricane that had a generator. I looked out the back window: None of those people have power, either, though the flicker of candlelight in their windows is a nice, homey touch. I lit a bunch of candles, called K.T. and chatted for a while, then sat on the couch crocheting by candlelight and touch.

At about 7:15, two fire trucks pulled into our cul-de-sac, lights flashing. One stopped in front of the place two doors down from us, and the other parked behind it. I admit it; I'm a nosy neighbor. I watched out the window. There was a lot of activity in the house, and the firemen had pulled out a collapsible gurney and were assembling it when Matt got home.

We speculated briefly about our neighbor, then decided to take the phone that rings out of the closet and plug it in. (The two phones we normally have plugged in both require AC power to ring, and so don't ring when the power is out.) I carry the little white handset down to the kitchen, unplug the cordless phone's base unit, and plug the handset in, getting sortof nostalgic for a moment. (I'd been given the white phone as a Valentine's Day present by my high school boyfriend, Björn, because he was tired of trying to talk to me through my previous el-cheapo phone.)

Once I get the phone plugged in, it occurs to me that maybe I should call the power company and make sure they know our power is out. 1-888-*Fzzt!BEEP!* The power turns back on.

Sheesh, if I'd known that was all it would take, I'd have done it earlier!


This morning, Matt told me, "Since I had a shower after basketball last night, I won't take one this morning - and you can have all the hot water!"

Poor Matt. He thought he was doing a nice thing for me. His face fell when I told him, "But the water's not really hot unless it's been used recently!"

Oh, well. I solved the problem my own way - I used the morning lukewarm water to shave my legs, then let the water heater recharge while I changed my mind about my clothes again and ironed the slacks.


Strangely, I don't feel especially nervous about the interviews today. I'm a bit excited, but not especially, and not nervous at all. Maybe it'll come as they get closer, though it's close enough right now. In fact, I need to wind this up and post it so I can go get dressed; I need to be on the road in about twenty minutes.

Wish me luck!

No comments: