Friday, December 10, 1999

10 December 1999

Well. Today's the day. When Syscon called last week to offer me a job, I promised I'd let them know my answer by the end of today. And I promptly wrote e-mail to the other places I'd interviewed, letting them know that I needed an answer before today so I could consider all my options.

Metro decided that they couldn't make an offer before my deadline, so they bowed out. I was relieved, more than anything else - I didn't really want to work for Metro in the first place.

STC said they were going to make me an offer after they did a secondary interview. A little judicious fibbing turned it into a phone interview, during which I found out that the job they were actually considering me for is an implementation and testing position. I hate testing, so despite the fact that they offered me about $7000 more than Syscon, I won't be taking it. (I thought about it long and hard. $7000 is nothing to sneeze at. But I decided, to hell with the money - if I hate my job, the money won't make it any better.)

I called INRI yesterday to get the scoop from them. I was told that they were trying to get approval to hire me, but that the application was stuck up in corporate. They promised to call me back if they heard anything today, but somehow, I don't see it happening. Damn. I liked the INRI office, the people seemed nice, their work seemed interesting, and I've heard that they pay very well... But I'm not going to turn Syscon down for a job that hasn't been offered yet, so unless they call before 3:00 today, I'll be working at Syscon when January rolls around.

Oh, well. No matter what happens, I'll be able to tell the people at 3GI's Christmas party tonight that I've found a job.


A while back, Karen gave me a recipe for "Black Gold" cookies. They sounded wonderful, and I decided to make them for Christmas. I made them yesterday.

Oh.    My.    God.

The cookies are, in essense, melted chocolate chips with a little flour and egg to hold them together. Decadence in cookie shape. And easy to make, though since you have to let them cool on the baking sheets (because they're still gooey when they come out of the oven) I had to buy a couple of extra baking sheets. No matter; it was worth it.

Yum.


So the 3GI Christmas party is tonight. I'm looking forward to it - I really am. There are people I miss from the office, and who - if Matt and Jeremy can be believed - miss me, too.

I'm debating whether to take my camera. I don't know when I'll see most of these people again. (And because the company supplies the alcohol - at least, they did last year - the pictures are worth a lot in the humor department, as well.) But it's kindof clunky... We'll see, I guess.

I realized this morning that I don't have a purse that's suitable for my outfit. So I'm going to pop out after I finish writing and posting this - go up to the outlet mall and see if I can find something suitable without paying an arm and a leg. I'm not the Fashion Thing; I don't need a purse that costs more than my dress. But the miniature suitcase I lug around most of the time is definitely not what I want. I need something fairly small - just big enough for my keys, driver's license, and lipstick. And a spare floppy disk or two, if I take my camera. Since I'm wearing a shawl over my shoulders, it needs to be a clutch or wrist bag... Damn. If I'd thought of this a week ago, I could have tried to make something out of the scraps leftover from making the shawl - that would have been perfect, because it would have matched. Heck, if I don't see anything at the mall, I may still attempt it.

Ah, well. Maybe I'll be lucky, and when I get back from shopping, I'll have a message on the phone from INRI.

No comments: