Thursday, December 30, 1999

30 December 1999

My feet hurt surprisingly little considering the amount of walking K.T. and I did yesterday. Which is good, because there are still a couple of things I'd meant to get that I either forgot or decided not to bother with yesterday, which I'm planning on trying to find today.

(Yes, I know I said I'd have to stay home today so I'd be here when Jeff showed up, but the very earliest that Jeff could get here is around noon, and Jeff isn't exactly what we'd call a morning person, so the chances of him showing up even that early are practically nil. So I feel pretty confidant about going out to do a little shopping, as long as I'm home by noon or so.)


Tell me this - when did Swiss Army knives get so damned expensive? I've had mine for over ten years, and the sides have fallen off, and the knife is so dull it's practically worthless, the tweezers and toothpick are long gone, and the springsteel that makes the scissors work is shot; the only part of the knife that's still any good is the screwdriver, and that's the wrong size to do any actual good. So I thought I'd buy a new one. I only saw two places that sold them, though, and at one, they were $20, and at the second they were $25. For the teeny-tiny little knife! I couldn't believe it! I got K.T. one a few years ago, and it was only about $10!

On the other hand, the slightly bigger knives that might be more useful aren't much more expensive, so I'm thinking about getting one of those. Today's shopping trip is going to take me to the Target here in town, and there's an A&N next door to the Target - I'm pretty sure they carry a good selection of Swiss Army knives.


I've got to stop watching movies about virulent diseases. Not that I watch a lot of them, but I'm definitely starting to detect a pattern. I read Stephen King's The Stand a couple of years ago, and thought it was pretty good. I spent most of the beginning of the book being hyper-aware of every tiny sensation of my body, especially the allergy-induced sniffles and coughs, which made the horror element of the book especially impressive. But when Matt showed me the movie, I spent three days with a sore throat. (It took us two days to watch it - it's a very long movie.) A couple of weeks ago, K.T. showed me the first half of Outbreak, and by the time I went home, I had a sore throat. Yesterday, we finished it, and - yep! - had a sore throat for the rest of the night. Luckily, it's gone today. But I've got to stop watching these movies!

No comments: