Tuesday, December 14, 1999

14 December 1999

I gave up on the tree.

No, of course I didn't take it down; are you nuts? But I did finally employ an engineering solution to the problem instead of continuing to fight with the recalcitrant base: I tied the top of the tree to the ceiling vent.

The string isn't especially attractive, and the tree now leans ever so slightly toward the vent (which wasn't centered with the tree) but it's much straighter than before, and I now have no fear that I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of a collapsing tree, and the presents are back under the tree where they belong.


Today promises to be busy. I have three packages to take to the post office and mail; a batch of peanut butter fudge to make; Christmas cards to write; New Year's invitations to print and (in some cases) mail; and a turkey to roast, though if the turkey isn't defrosted yet, it might get put off for another day.

But thanks to the grey, rainy weather this morning and the fact that I was up quite late last night, I slept in for the first time in a week. Oh, that felt good! Still plenty of time to do everything - busy is relative, of course - and despite the weather, I'm feeling quite contented and happy.


Eleven days until Christmas, and everything progresses apace. Let's see... There are two presents on the stairs waiting to be wrapped, one package that was delivered while I was writing this entry with presents for Matt and another friend, and one package from a catalog that I'm not expecting for another week with a present for my mom. I love getting packages, even if they're not really for me. I need to stop at the bookstore and pick up a couple of gift certificates for some hard-to-shop-for friends, and that will be pretty much it for presents that we're giving. Though of course I reserve the right to buy things if I see something and my brain makes an immediate connection.

Later this week I'm getting together with my brother to make cookies. Parties are scheduled for Saturday and next Wednesday. My grandparents are getting to town next Thursday. Somewhere in there I'm going to go back down to Hampton to look at the tacky lights and visit the Christmas House again. Whee!

And now, dear friends, I'm going to go get started.

No comments: